As a leading global animal health company, Elanco delivers innovative products and services to improve the health of pets and farm animals around the world because we believe making animals' lives better, makes life better. Since 1954, we have provided solutions that support veterinarians, farmers and pet owners to advance our vision of Food and Companionship Enriching Life. Elanco's promise to employees: Together, we foster an inclusive culture where everyone can make a difference, encouraging ownership, growth and well-being.
Your Role: Senior Director/Chief Veterinary Officer– Strategic Partnership Regional Consulting Vets, US Pet Health
Within the Elanco US Pet Health Business Unit, the Senior Director/Chief Veterinary Officer (CVO) – Strategic Partnership Regional Consulting Veterinarians (SP RCVs) represents Elanco’s veterinary leadership to corporate partners. The role reports directly to the Senior Director – Consulting Veterinarians, US Pet Health. The Sr. Dir./CVO will lead and manage the routine operations of the veterinary technical roles (RCVs) on the Strategic Partnerships team. In addition, the Sr. Dir./CVO will work with the Executive Director, Strategic Partnerships to create the strategic vision and oversee the deployment of RCV support for SP account managers, both in corporate and distribution roles. The Sr. Dir./CVO will also work closely with other senior leaders of the RCV team to maximize Elanco’s value with corporate partners. Duties include leading the SP RCV hiring decisions, managing day-to-day operations of SP RCVs, developing and coaching team members, managing budgets, and communicating and supporting the strategic direction of the US Pet Health. Domestic travel is required, averaging 35%, but can increase up to 50% or more during periods to meet business needs. Qualified candidates have reasonable accessibility to a major airport.
- Create and implement a strategy for veterinary education and account manager support, enabling the Elanco Strategic Partnership team to exceed goals.
- Utilize knowledge of parasiticide, vaccine, dermatology, pain and therapeutic categories to assist Elanco SP team members in creating beneficial strategies.
- Understand the Strategic Account Management (SAM) process and how Elanco’s product education and support advance SAM goals.
- Build new and leverage existing relationships with medical leadership of veterinary corporations to position Elanco as the partner of choice for veterinary products.
- Develop and execute plans for education and support of corporate clinics that foster early adoption and usage of Elanco innovation during product launches.
- Develop a world-class SP RCV team to establish Elanco as the industry leader in corporate clinics and distribution centers.
- Supervise SP RCVs, including hiring, managing, and implementing all performance management and individual development requirements.
- Lead and coach consulting veterinarians to provide effective technical support and training for Pet Health Sales organization.
- Collaborate with Elanco Training to assist in assessment, planning and execution of SP RCV and account manager disease and product knowledge needs.
- Interact respectfully with leadership and colleagues across Elanco.
- Assist in the development of and communication of the strategic direction for the Regional Consulting Veterinarians.
- Collaborate with Pet Health Sales and Marketing teams to provide effective technical support and KOL contact for the US business.
- Manage OPEX budget and resources for maximum efficiency.
What You Need to Succeed (minimum qualifications):
- Education: Graduate of an AVMA (American Veterinary Medical Association) accredited veterinary program with the corresponding veterinary degree. Licensed to practice veterinary medicine in the United States.
- Experience: A minimum of 7 years experience as a practicing veterinarian in companion animal or mixed animal practice (companion animal focus) although consideration may also be given for experience in comparable industry roles. The practice experience may be in private, corporate, and/or academic environments.
- Experience in a field-based veterinary industry consulting role or managing equivalent.
- A valid US driver’s license.
- Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to be employed in the United States. Elanco does not anticipate providing sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H-1B or TN status) for this employment position.
What will give you a competitive edge (preferred qualifications):
- Experience interacting with corporate veterinary clinic decision-makers, preferably in board room settings, is a strong plus. A deep understanding of corporate vet medicine is essential to success.
- A strong commitment to compliance with policies, procedures, and operating guidelines
- Experience in the management of direct reports is highly desirable, particularly in the role of managing technical consultant veterinarians (i.e., RCVs) or other veterinary professionals.
- In-depth knowledge of Pet Health veterinary products.
- Strong leadership ability including communication, networking, negotiating, persuasion, and organizational skills.
- Ability to create a culture of engaged empowered employees and recruit, develop, and retain high-quality technical talent.
- Proven ability to collaborate and work effectively in cross-functional teams.
- Strong planning and execution skills.
- Understanding of category landscape, challenges, and opportunities to build strategy.
- Experience working effectively with sales and marketing organizations.
- Ability to make decisions within the context of uncertainty and ambiguity.
- Location: Global Elanco Headquarters - Greenfield, IN - Hybrid Work Environment – Relocation available
- Travel: Preference is given to a candidate that resides within easy access to a major airport.
Elanco is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status