Scientist, Technical Services Manufacturing Science
As a leading global animal health company, Elanco delivers innovative products and services to improve the health of pets and farm animals around the world because we believe making animals' lives better, makes life better. Since 1954, we have provided solutions that support veterinarians, farmers and pet owners to advance our vision of Food and Companionship Enriching Life. Elanco's promise to employees: Together, we foster an inclusive culture where everyone can make a difference, encouraging ownership, growth and well-being.
This position will provide technical support for established processes of dry blend, wet granulation, drying, compression, extrusion, tube filling, liquid mixing and/or packaging processes. The Technical Services/Manufacturing Science (TS/MS) Scientist works in process variability improvement, process monitoring, process validation, manufacturing batch record maintenance and overall technical support for processes.
This individual will also be responsible for the support of Operation, Quality Assurance, Quality Control and TS/MS projects in the Animal Health Manufacturing organization at Kansas City. They will use their expertise in experimental design and data analysis to optimize manufacturing and analytical processes in collaboration with scientists, engineers, maintenance, and operators.
The TS/MS Scientist works within the framework of processes in regulatory compliance, capable in statistical control, and continuous optimization and will function as a technical resource in manufacturing processing areas. This position acts as a business partner with manufacturing and will work closely with technical associates to establish and maintain best practices.
- Maintain clear and well understood manufacturing instructions
- Maintain an accurate bill of materials for each process.
- Maintain a Process Flow Document (PFD) and current validation for each process.
- Provide technical content for training on process related instructions.
- Use change control and reports to document changes and improvements.
- Participate in the generation and analysis of laboratory data in order to identify and test improvement opportunities.
- Evaluate and implement plant trials for possible incorporation into standard practices.
- Issue technical summaries and author detailed technical reports to document special events/experiments.
- Support all safety and environmental policies/procedures, including coaching and feedback.
- Provide process Improvement implementations and has strong process team focus to drive continuous improvement.
- Actively participate in safety vigilance and safety improvement programs.
Basic Minimum Requirements:
- Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering, Chemistry, Biology, Pharmaceutical Science or related field or equivalent years' experience.
- Cross-functional networking and influencing ability
- Self-management skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Scientific data collection and documentation skills
- Efficient approach to trouble shooting/problem solving
- Ability to respond to changing priorities
- Good understanding of sound engineering process
- Customer focus
- Innovation and creativity
- Ability to handle multiple priorities and deal with ambiguity
- Must be able to wear required PPE and be able to comply and follow all gowning requirements (e.g. gloves, safety glasses, wear uniform, disposable gowning, steel-toed shoes, dust mask and fitting respirator / hoods (must obtain fit testing and medical clearance for mask and hood)
- Minimum of 3 yr industrial manufacturing experience preferred
- Understanding of cGMPs and FDA regulations
- Previous solid dosage – tablet experience preferred, including Wet granulation, drying, blending and compression experience. Or previous experience in liquids, solutions, suspensions, tube filling, and/or extrusion preferred.
- Extrusion or liquid fill experience
- Strong mechanical and computer skills helpful
- Familiarity with solid or liquid dosage processes
- Willingness to assist others outside areas of assigned task
- Some statistical training, knowledge of statistical methods and applicable software (i.e.JMP)
- Position may have exposure to potential allergens or other environmental hazards.
- This position will require RCRA training, handling hazardous material and or waste, and signing manifest documents for the shipment of these materials. The position is required to be onsite to adequately support of operations.
Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to be employed in the United States. Elanco does not anticipate providing sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H-1B or TN status) for this employment position.
Completion of Post Offer Exam (POE), Completion of Work Simulation (SIM) or Completion of Administrative Skills Testing if applicable.
Notification of Drug testing and Background Checks
Elanco conducts urinalysis drug testing as a mandatory part of its pre-employment application and background check process after acceptance of a conditional offer of employment by an applicant. The drug testing will be conducted by a certified laboratory/testing service selected by Elanco, in accordance with the procedures required by applicable state and federal law. Additionally, Elanco requires successful completion of a urinalysis drug test if it has reasonable suspicion that an employee is under the influence of drugs or alcohol which adversely affects or could adversely affect the employee's job performance as allowed by applicable law. Tested applicants will be given a copy of any positive test result. All test results shall be considered confidential and shall not be disclosed by Elanco, other than to those persons for whom such disclosure is necessary. Positive test results, or a refusal to consent to and participate in pre-employment drug testing, shall be grounds for denial of employment. Cooperation in scheduling the testing is important for processing an application for employment. By signing your acceptance to an offer of employment, you consent to be drug tested and acknowledge you have thoroughly read the foregoing notice and policy, and you understand and agree that in order to be considered for employment with Elanco, you will be required to comply with Elanco's drug testing policy. Elanco's background check requirements also include but are not limited to an acceptable criminal background check, educational verification, job history verification and motor vehicle report (if required to drive a company vehicle). If appropriate for the role, as outlined on the job posting, successful completion of Post Offer Exam, Work Simulation and/or Administrative Skills Testing may also be required.
Elanco is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status
By applying you agree to our Terms of Service