The Assoc. Scientist / Sr. Assoc. Scientist in the protein preparation laboratory will play an essential role in the Zoetis biopharmaceutical program for veterinary medicine. The successful applicant will work with a senior team member and assist in a laboratory that will produce multiple preparations of monoclonal antibodies and therapeutic proteins in a fast-paced R&D space engaged in numerous projects. The incumbent is expected to work hands-on at the bench while learning strong technical skills in both upstream production and downstream purification workflows. He/She is expected to work in partnership with colleagues in upstream/downstream development, formulation development, and bioanalytical science. To be successful, they will have some knowledge of CHO cell culture, chromatographic and filtration processes. The position is based in Kalamazoo (Michigan, USA) with interactions with colleagues and external partners located around the globe.
- Assist other scientists with the cell culture and purification of monoclonal antibody (mAb) and therapeutic protein preparations predominantly from but not limited to CHO cell cultures.
- Aseptically handle one or more systems for monoclonal antibody expression in either CHO mammalian cells, recombinant protein expression in prokaryotes, or in yeasts.
- Operate bench- and mid-scale bioreactor systems that are used within the laboratory to routinely produce mAbs and therapeutic proteins.
- Operate multiple modalities of chromatography and filtration systems that are routinely used to isolate, purify and concentrate mAbs and proteins.
- Coordinate with cell culture and downstream development groups on the procedures, raw materials and equipment required for a successful mid-scale batch
- Assist in authoring protocols, and technology transfer documents that will support technology transfer within the company or to contract manufacturers and well as to support regulatory filings for new product registrations.
- Apply theoretical knowledge in the scientific disciplines that support cell culture and downstream processing such as molecular biology, microbiology, cell physiology, protein chemistry, biotechnology, biochemical engineering and biochemistry.
- Understand and apply principles of scale-up and scale-down to bioreactor systems and downstream processes.
- Strive for continuous improvement by streamlining existing workflows to increase the volume of work performed by the function while identifying opportunities to shorten the timelines for preparation of supplies.
- Maintain electronic laboratory notebooks and records in accord with scientific protocol and applicable Standard Operating Procedures.
- Demonstrate excellent organizational skills in order to engage in multiple projects.
- Regularly communicate via excellent written and verbal interactions, as well as clear technical presentations.
- Bolster the highly collaborative team environment necessary across the biopharmaceutical development programs.
- BSc or MS in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Biotechnology, Cell Biology, chemical or biochemical/biomedical engineering, or a related discipline. The successful BS candidate would be expected to have >2 years of industry experience in biotechnology, the MS candidate 0-2 years of experience