We are seeking an innovative and highly motivated professional to be part of a team to develop genetic products for animals. The successful candidate will support development of genetic products for dairy cattle and will be responsible for translating research procedures and pipelines to commercial products and working with commercial teams to deploy them. The successful candidate will work in a diverse and dynamic team environment with other Zoetis scientists, including quantitative geneticists, bioinformaticians, data and IT scientists as well as molecular geneticists supporting the discovery and development of products across the portfolio.
The major duties will include but are not limited to:
- Provide expertise in managing large data sets from a wide variety of sources. Provide support for annotation and filtering of research data.
- Provide leadership for development of data management platforms, including building and curating databases.
- Support development of pipelines for routine analysis using appropriate programming and data management tools.
- Provide support for testing and transferring of R&D and experimental pipelines and procedures to commercial application and executive teams.
- Demonstrate willingness to incorporate new knowledge and strategies into projects to create robust and value-based products.
Qualifications and requirements:
- PhD degree in genetics, animal science, dairy science, plant science, computer science, computational biology, statistics, or other related fields OR MS degree in one of above fields with minimum 3 years of experience.
- Very strong programming and data management skills and proficiency in Python, C++, Fortran, Perl, Java, Julia, or similar programming languages, as well as familiarity with Unix/Linux system.
- Experience with editing and reviewing large data sources that must be filtered and cleaned.
- Training or experience with building and managing databases and familiarity with database languages such as SQL, Oracle, etc.
- Experience with cloud computing, working in “HPC” environment, and developing pipelines that take advantage of parallel programming.
- Knowledge of statistical analysis software such as SAS, R, JMP etc.
- Familiarity with methods for estimating variance components and genetic merit of animals or plants (desirable, but not required).
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively within and across diverse teams and functions.
- Comfortable working in a rapidly changing environment and willingness to learn new skills and incorporate new ideas.
- Self-motivated and able to work both independently and as a team member.