This job is archived
Post-Doctoral Scientist – Protein Assay and Structure
Zoetis Veterinary Medicine Research and Development (VMRD), Analytical Sciences Department in Kalamazoo, MI is seeking a Post-Doctoral scientist to elucidate protein primary, secondary, and tertiary structure in the characterization of companion animal and livestock biopharmaceuticals by developing and using advanced mass spectrometric and other analytical techniques.
Zoetis is the largest animal health company in the world with an industry-leading research and development team. We are recruiting a highly motivated Post-Doctoral scientist to evaluate or develop and use advanced protein structure analytical techniques in the elucidation of the structures of biopharmaceuticals, including disulfide bond patterns and post-translational modifications. This position will require an overall understanding of methodologies used to elucidate protein primary and higher-order structures. The successful candidate will have working knowledge of protein chemistry and analytical characterization, including peptide mapping, LC-MS/MS, glycan analysis, and chromatographic and electrophoretic separation methods. The incumbent is expected to work in a collaborative multidisciplinary team environment through interacting with scientists from a variety of functional lines within Zoetis, as well as establishing collaborations with external laboratories equipped with technologies not currently available at Zoetis.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
* Review and assess scientific literature, external research institutions/companies, and novel technology areas to develop new approaches for protein structure characterization.
* Design and conduct experiments to evaluate these new approaches.
* Share current and newly acquired knowledge with Zoetis scientists.
* Implement new approaches and technology in Zoetis laboratories.
* Document, report, and communicate results in electronic laboratory notebooks, technical reports, PowerPoint presentations, and oral presentations.
* Interface with other scientists in a variety of functional lines including Global Biological Research (GBR), Global Therapeutic Research (GTR), and Analytical Sciences (AS).
* Manage collaborations with external partners to access technologies not available at Zoetis.
Expertise in protein structure primary and higher-order structure determination by mass spectrometry. Hands-on experience in ion mobility mass spectrometry, native mass spectrometry, HDX/FPOP and fragmentation modes like ECD, ETD and CID. Experience in glycan structure determination. Track record of academic or industrial accomplishments in protein separation and characterization. Knowledge in molecular biology. Proven ability to keep up with scientific and technical advancement in biomedical research and to evaluate new technologies. Experience with HRMS technologies including, but not limited to, Q-TOF (maXis, Synapt G2S) and hybrid-orbitrap (Q-Exactive HF Biopharma), and MALDI TOF/TOF. Expertise with MS and protein modeling software including Xcalibur, BioPharma Finder, PEAKS, Skyline, Pymol, and MOE.
* PhD in chemistry, biochemistry, or other closely related disciplines with 0-3 years relevant research experience is preferred;
The ideal candidate will:
* Possess good oral and written communication skills
* Have industrial or academic experience in a laboratory setting, specifically in mass spectrometry
* Demonstrate a strong quantitative background and expertise in analytical chemistry
* Be able to work efficiently in a group setting and to collaborate with external partners
* Be highly motivated, detail-oriented, and a self-starter
* Troubleshoot effectively and work independentlyFull timeRegularColleagueZoetis is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status or any other protected classification. Disabled individuals are given an equal opportunity to use our online application system. We offer reasonable accommodations as an alternative if requested by an individual with a disability. Please contact Zoetis Colleague Services at [Register to View] to request an accommodation. Zoetis also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must possess or obtain authorization to work in the US for Zoetis. Zoetis retains sole and exclusive discretion to pursue sponsorship for the acquisition or maintenance of nonimmigrant status and employment eligibility, considering factors such as availability of qualified US workers. Individuals requiring sponsorship must disclose this fact. Please note that Zoetis seeks information related to job applications from candidates for jobs in the U.S. solely via the following: (1) our company website at www.Zoetis.com/careers site, or (2) via email to/from addresses using only the Zoetis domain of [Register to View] In addition, Zoetis does not use Google Hangout for any recruitment related activities. Any solicitation or request for information related to job applications with Zoetis via any other means and/or utilizing email addresses with any other domain should be disregarded. In addition, Zoetis will never ask candidates to make any type of personal financial investment related to gaining employment with Zoetis.