The Principal Embedded Software Engineer will be a leader on the development team that designs, develops, tests, updates, and maintains software that is a part of in-vitro diagnostic devices.
The focus of the diagnostics R&D software development team is as follows:
- Architect, design, and develop software and firmware for Diagnostic Instruments;
- Test software and firmware for Diagnostic Instruments;
- Integrate software and firmware for Diagnostic Instruments with instrument hardware;
- Software Verification and Validation, and design transfer to manufacturing following organizational quality processes and procedures.
This includes development, verification, validation and design transfer following organization processes and procedures of the following types of software:
Embedded software and firmware, User Interface software, Application Software and Algorithms
This role interacts extensively with counterparts in other VMRD (Veterinary Medicine Research and Development) groups, and Zoetis PMI (Product Management and Innovation), GMS (Global Manufacturing and Supply), and ITS (Information Technology Services), to ensure alignment of the diagnostic R&D software development strategy with internal and external requirements. The role further interacts with and aligns with global Commercial Operations to ensure that the delivered products will meet customer needs and drive value for Zoetis.
This position requires a person capable of understanding how the customer uses the system, and able to understand how the different system components affect the total system performance. The Principal Embedded Software Engineer will need to be able to understand the details of the software and user interaction and apply these skills in a team setting with chemists and hardware engineers. The Principal Embedded Software Engineer has ownership of the application through the entire life cycle of the software. The Principal Embedded Software Engineer is expected to be able to complete assigned projects with minimal supervision. The Principal Embedded Software Engineer will work with a global and interdisciplinary team within the Veterinary Medicine Research and Development organization. This position may lead a software team and will have the responsibility to coach and review the work of lower level engineers. This position is located in Zoetis’ Union City, CA facility, and will report to the Director of Diagnostics R&D Software Development.
- Lead development and launch of software of impeccable quality for diagnostic instruments and assays.
- Seek opportunities to build new product offerings across the portfolio, consistent with the Zoetis strategy to drive a continuum of care (predict, prevent, detect, and treat) in addressing unmet customer needs.
- Perform software requirements analysis, prototyping, product development system integration activities, lead research, designs, develop and test software and tools, to include development of new work products or enhancing existing applications, systems or embedded products.
- Define all aspects of development from appropriate technology and workflow to coding standards and security considerations; clearly communicate all concepts and guidelines to development team.
- Develop the frameworks, standards, policies, principles, and procedures that guide technology decisions and maximize reuse of technology.
- Oversee progress of development team to ensure consistency with initial design; provide technical guidance and coaching to developers to facilitate rapid development and implementation.
- Remain current with new and cross industry technologies and practices, as well as evolving external requirements that impact product design, execution, analysis and reporting.
- Coach and mentor direct reports and other staff as appropriate to facilitate colleague development and succession planning.
- Adapt when changes in the business environment dictate changes in priorities to meet the customer needs.
- Work with multiple product development sites, both internal and external, domestic and international
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field. Advanced degree (MS/PhD) preferred.
- 10+ years of experience developing commercial software, preferably embedded software in devices.
- Requires a documented track record of success in leading a team or project to successful launch of software-driven devices
- Familiar with software development product life cycles from concept to development and product testing and final release; Agile experience preferred.
- Experience in embedded real-time software applications associated with communications is required.
- Experience as a software architect
- Demonstrated experience with Large-Scale Software Architectures – Open Systems Architecture
- Demonstrated experience developing multi-threaded, distributed applications
- Demonstrated proficiency with C#, C/C++ code development, integration and testing
- Demonstrated experience in one or more of the following – mathematical and numerical analysis, image analysis, signal processing, and statistical analysis
- Demostrated proficiency in Linux kernel and user application development and any RTOS based embedded system development
- Working knowledge of database structure and manipulation
- Working knowledge of Graphical User Interface design
- Demonstrated experience using performance and memory profiling tools
- Experience in managing efficient configuration management, automated testing, and software verification and validation
- Demonstrated experience in working as part of a geographically dispersed team
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, including negotiating and problem solving
- Listens and understands others’ points of view and articulates tactfully and respectfully one’s own perspective orally, in writing, and in presentations
Skilled at situational leadershipFull timeRegularColleagueZoetis is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status or any other protected classification. Disabled individuals are given an equal opportunity to use our online application system. We offer reasonable accommodations as an alternative if requested by an individual with a disability. Please contact Zoetis Colleague Services at [Register to View] to request an accommodation. Zoetis also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must possess or obtain authorization to work in the US for Zoetis. Zoetis retains sole and exclusive discretion to pursue sponsorship for the acquisition or maintenance of nonimmigrant status and employment eligibility, considering factors such as availability of qualified US workers. Individuals requiring sponsorship must disclose this fact. Please note that Zoetis seeks information related to job applications from candidates for jobs in the U.S. solely via the following: (1) our company website at www.Zoetis.com/careers site, or (2) via email to/from addresses using only the Zoetis domain of [Register to View] In addition, Zoetis does not use Google Hangout for any recruitment related activities. Any solicitation or request for information related to job applications with Zoetis via any other means and/or utilizing email addresses with any other domain should be disregarded. In addition, Zoetis will never ask candidates to make any type of personal financial investment related to gaining employment with Zoetis.