The CAD Engineer will work as a member of the research and development team to support the design, development, testing and integration of electro-mechanical, thermal and optical sub-systems into new and innovative diagnostic products through several CAD activities. The CAD Engineer primary responsibilities are: detailing 3D models and creating 2D drawings for parts and assemblies created by Design Engineers, complete tolerance analysis and document tolerances on 2D drawings following Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing GM&T) standards, manage Bill of Materials for parts and assemblies, and act as the local CAD, EPDM and PLM administrator. The CAD Engineer will also promote and enforce CAD, EPDM and PLM standards and best practices across engineering teams. The CAD Engineer will work with a global team within the Veterinary Medicine Research and Development (VMRD) organization, in close collaboration with cross functional teams, including Design Engineers, Product Engineers, Quality Representatives, Manufacturing, Purchasing, and Suppliers, under the direction of VMRD leadership.
The person in this position will develop and apply Computer Aided Design (CAD) software engineering best practices in the investigation and solution of technical problems. Assessing architecture and hardware limitations, plans technical projects in the design and development of CAD software. Defines and selects new approaches and implementation of CAD software engineering applications and design specifications and parameters. Develops routines and utility programs. Prepares 3D models, 3D model revision controls, 2D drawings, tolerance analysis, and recommendations for presentation and approval. May specify materials, equipment and supplies required for completion of projects.
This position requires working at the Union City, CA facility, and will report to the Director of Diagnostics Devices.
The CAD Engineer has a variety of responsibilities, including:
- Support Design Engineers, Electrical Engineers, Mechanical Engineers, Component Engineers, and Product Engineers to create and refine designs in all phases of multiple projects.
- Create/update product design and assembly drawings, using SolidWorks and Cadence (Allegro, OrCAD, etc.).
- Review drawings released by other CAD team users for adherence to corporate and industry documentation standards (such as ANSI standard Y14.5 -2009, IPC-610, IPC-620, etc.).
- Complete ECNs (Engineering Change Notifications) to release completed drawings and BOMs.
- Implement changes to existing documentation based on input from engineering, manufacturing and quality teams.
- Verify accuracy and completeness of finished models, drawings and Bill of Material (BOM) prior to release to EPDM, PLM and ERP systems.
- Perform general data management activities EPDM, PLM and ERP systems.
- Support and develop CAD/PDM toolsets, workflows, templates, and standards.
- Support with CAD Administrative tasks such as part libraries, installation, troubleshooting and licensing.
- Create written documentation such as work instructions, manuals and reports as required by the stage-gate development process.
- Grow and maintain technical knowledge with advancing technology related to technology and product development of in-vitro diagnostic devices.
- Ensure designs meet and exceed product specifications, regulatory requirements, and international standards.
- Proficient in communicating complex technical situations in an understandable way.
- Work cross functionally in a global organization, deploy engineering best practices in the context of a stage-gate development process, and navigate satisfying product technical specifications as prescribed by customer and market requirements.
- Participate in system engineering for complex electromechanical systems to define product specifications and controls interactions of each system.
- Coordinate problem solving of design issues.
This position will be working in a cross functional engineering organization and will interact closely with multidisciplinary teams, which include Engineering, Marketing, IT, Manufacturing, Customer Service and Quality.
Understanding project budgets and cost of goods targets.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- BSMET with 5 years or AAS with 7 years’ experience demonstrating design experience with complex engineered products.
- 5 years experience working with Design and Implementation teams, Operations (Manufacturing, Quality, Inspection) and suppliers from an engineering and technical perspective.
- Experience working in regulated environment, e.g. GMP, etc. is desirable
TECHNICAL SKILLS REQUIREMENTS
- Demonstrated proficiency with CAD solid modeling using both Part/Assembly (SolidWorks preferred)
- Demonstrated proficiency generating 2D Drawings applying Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T).
- Demonstrated proficiency with drawing storage/control, EPDM, PLM, SAP, etc.
- Demonstrated proficiency in creating engineering specifications and technical requirements.
- Demonstrated experience with schematic capture and PCB layout tools for circuit board designs (Allegro, OrCAD, etc. preferred).
- Demonstrated experience working in CAD Data Management applications and best practices
- Demonstrated experience in critical thinking and problem-solving skills, planning and organizing, decision-making.
- Prior experience with Root Cause Analysis (RCA) techniques and documentation.
- Prior experience with Design for Six Sigma (DFSS) or Design, Reliability & Manufacturability (DRM).
- Prior experience in a regulated industry such as healthcare, laboratory diagnostics, medical devices, or pharmaceutical companies desirable.
- Excellent communication skills, influencing and leading, facilitation and teamwork capabilities.
- Experienced with designing for injection molding, plastic extrusion and plastic part assembly process and methods.
PHYSICAL POSITION REQUIREMENTS
The CAD Engineer will work primarily at the Union City site either in an office environment or a development lab environment. Some domestic and international travel may be required.Full timeRegularColleagueZoetis is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status or any other protected classification. Disabled individuals are given an equal opportunity to use our online application system. We offer reasonable accommodations as an alternative if requested by an individual with a disability. Please contact Zoetis Colleague Services at [Register to View] to request an accommodation. Zoetis also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must possess or obtain authorization to work in the US for Zoetis. Zoetis retains sole and exclusive discretion to pursue sponsorship for the acquisition or maintenance of nonimmigrant status and employment eligibility, considering factors such as availability of qualified US workers. Individuals requiring sponsorship must disclose this fact. Please note that Zoetis seeks information related to job applications from candidates for jobs in the U.S. solely via the following: (1) our company website at www.Zoetis.com/careers site, or (2) via email to/from addresses using only the Zoetis domain of [Register to View] In addition, Zoetis does not use Google Hangout for any recruitment related activities. Any solicitation or request for information related to job applications with Zoetis via any other means and/or utilizing email addresses with any other domain should be disregarded. In addition, Zoetis will never ask candidates to make any type of personal financial investment related to gaining employment with Zoetis.