In this critical role, the Regional Environment, Health and Safety (EHS) Leader will lead, plan and manage programs for the Zoetis Reference Laboratories in the United States to assure safe, compliant and reliable operations. The Regional EHS Leader plays a key role and works directly with each site’s business leadership teams. He/She will be hands-on and must have a strong ability to influence and lead colleagues, set direction and vision, and provide support to all levels within the organization.
Key responsibilities of the position include the following:
• Lead the development, implementation, and maintenance of multi-disciplinary EHS programs that assure compliance with Zoetis EHS Standards and federal, state and local regulations.
• Promote a collaborative and proactive EHS culture with active engagement of all site colleagues.
• Be the technical lead for all aspects of industrial hygiene, biosafety, laboratory safety, occupational health, chemical management, waste management and business continuity.
• Serve as the primary contact for regulatory agencies and work with such agencies to ensure compliance with applicable EHS regulations and that the Company’s reputation are in good standing.
• Investigate all injuries, illnesses, near-miss and property losses to identify cause, achieve resolution and prevent recurrence.
• Manage and report EHS-related (injuries/illnesses, environmental metrics, risk assessments, EHS action items) information into the Company’s EHS management system.
• Develop, implement, maintain and deliver (as necessary) an effective and compliant EHS training program.
• Conduct routine site audits and reviews to identify systemic EHS management gaps, develop corrective measures and implement solutions to sustain compliance with regulatory and Company’s requirements. Ensure the timely correction of findings.
• Provide technical supervision to incorporate EHS management requirements and compliance for new equipment, modifications, new construction, and planning for new sites.
• Develop, maintain, and distribute emergency and evacuation plans. Ensure appropriate training in emergency response, spill response, disaster preparedness and crisis management is provided; that drills are completed; and equipment is maintained.
• Facilitate the development and maintenance of each site’s Business Continuity Plans.
• Visit all assigned sites (at least quarterly) to ensure effective implementation of EHS processes and programs.
• Bachelor's degree in environmental science, engineering or occupational safety & health.
• 10+years of relevant EHS experience; with 5+ years in a laboratory setting or demonstrated expertise in industrial hygiene, biosafety, chemical management and waste management.
• Experience in providing EHS leadership to multiple locations within the USA.
• Certified Safety Professional (CSP), Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH), Certified Hazardous Materials Manager (CHMM) certification preferred.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
• Up to 50% domestic travel.
Technical Skills Requirements
• Knowledgeable and experienced in the fields of industrial hygiene, biosafety, laboratory safety, occupational health and environmental management.
• Knowledgeable of USA state and federal EHS-related regulations.
• Experience with Cority EHS operating system, preferred.
• Demonstrated proficiency to operate effectively in a matrix organization and to lead and motivate colleagues outside of direct reporting relationship.
• Self-motivated with experience working with limited supervision.
• Ability to work collaboratively with all levels of the organization.
• Excellent interpersonal and diplomacy skills, creativity, practical problem solving, flexibility, as well as excellent written and oral communication skills.