Head of Global Public Affairs
The importance of Public Affairs in the animal health industry has grown significantly. There is a clear, continuous need for robust expertise and capacity in Public Affairs as government legislation, regulation, policy, and geo-politics play an increasingly important and impactful role both on our company and our ability to provide our customers with innovative treatments and health solutions for animals under their care. Active leadership, understanding and engagement in the policy sphere has become a necessity in today's competitive and challenging environment.
As Zoetis continues to expand its business globally, it is imperative that the organization secure support and partnership from a broad range of stakeholders. Expertise in corporate, government affairs and public policy is critical to proactively advocate with these stakeholders and to shape the environment in which the company operates.
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
The Global Public Affairs Lead serves as the most senior public affairs expert at Zoetis. This role works closely with the EVP, Corporate Affairs, Communications, and Sustainability to develop global public affairs strategies meeting aligned with business objectives. This role oversees advocacy efforts on issues impacting the industry, our customers and stakeholders globally. The individual in this role must be able to think strategically and provide thoughtful counsel pertinent to a range of policy issues and represent Zoetis in key forums globally. This role can be based remotely within the U.S.
KEY TASKS & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide public affairs leadership for the global business; lead the development and advancement of an impactful and comprehensive global public affairs strategy that is worldwide in scope and breadth to deliver on the company's business objectives.
- Define and execute new strategies that support the company's advocacy portfolio to create a competitive advantage while ensuring that these initiatives align with the overall purpose and business strategy of Zoetis.
- Establish Zoetis as a partner-of-choice with key global government decision makers with opportunities to shape policies on animal health, sustainability and OneHealth system strengthening.
- Work with leadership to develop relationships within government that represent Zoetis’ major commercial opportunities and educate and promote animal health policies and legislation favorable to Zoetis’ business strategy.
- Proactively identify opportunities where corporate affairs initiatives advance commercial strategy, address issues, strengthen alignment and convey business priorities; advise and support global partnerships where appropriate.
- Inspire a talented global public affairs team that will translate the enterprise goals into measurable results through execution of a public affairs strategy with one voice.
- Lead team of public affairs colleagues and set vision for government affairs, customer advocacy and trade association engagement across US and Int’l commercial teams.
- Monitor, understand, analyze, proactively anticipate and report on significant public policy, political/legislative digital developments that impact key markets in the short, mid and long term.
- Distill insights, discuss findings implications and prepare results effectively.
- Collaborate with Zoetis Commercial Leaders and other internal stakeholders to understand policy research needs; that align with business strategies
- Act as an internal champion for public affairs and actively showcase examples for global colleagues to understand value and impact of the function in commercial markets
- Assist in the policy development and alignment across the organization to define Zoetis’ public policy positions.
- Prepare and support the development of communications for several audience levels - peers, colleagues, customers, management, and senior executives (e.g. executive briefings), including with different digital tools and formats.
- Provide project management leadership and guidance to Public Affairs team, including tracking of budget, timelines and deliverables for key Public Affairs projects and affiliations with trade associations.
- Manage projects effectively and efficiently, including assisting other team members as appropriate.
- Ensure public affairs activities are in compliance with Zoetis’ policy and legal obligations.
- Develop and track appropriate business unit metrics to evaluate effectiveness of public affairs programs.
- Externally collaborate with key stakeholders, such as trade associations, professional societies, key customers and policy thought leaders.
PROFESSIONAL SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- 10-15 years of experience in policy, government affairs, and/or public relations
- Registered lobbyist preferred
- Project management experience
- Business and stakeholder relationship experience
- Experience working in a large, global corporation helpful
- Clear reputation for ethical conduct
PERSONAL SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to make complex concepts conversational
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to multitask and work in fast paced environment.
- Entrepreneurial nature - develops original and innovative solutions
- Strategic thinking – including impact of policies and advocacy strategies
- Team player - leads highly complex projects with functional and cross functional teams
- Operate comfortably across many different cultures, time zones, languages, political systems, environments
- Knowledge of legislative, regulatory, policy and political processes
- Demonstrates good listening skills
- Analytical skills: Ability to consider and analyze a broad range of factors such as policies, practices and trends
- Ability to foster collaborative decision making
- Capable of working both independently and as a team member
- Technology savvy, with the ability to understand business needs to design and guide proper digital solutions development
By applying you agree to our Terms of Service