Quality Control Chemist
As a leading global animal health company, Elanco delivers innovative products and services to improve the health of pets and farm animals around the world because we believe making animals' lives better, makes life better. Since 1954, we have provided solutions that support veterinarians, farmers and pet owners to advance our vision of Food and Companionship Enriching Life. Elanco's promise to employees: Together, we foster an inclusive culture where everyone can make a difference, encouraging ownership, growth and well-being.
The chemist is responsible for providing technical leadership for Elanco Kansas City Quality Control to ensure compliance with cGMP, safety and company requirements. The chemist interacts with laboratory personnel, Quality Assurance, manufacturing and MS&T to solve problems, improve laboratory practices and methods and to implement improvement in business processes. The role is responsible for ensuring appropriate review and approval of analytical data, managing analytical investigations and coaching/mentoring of Quality Control personnel.
Position may have exposure to potential allergens or other environmental hazards.
This position will require RCRA training, handling hazardous material and or waste, and signing manifest documents for the shipment of these materials.
- Be the safety role model to laboratory personnel, ensuring that proper PPE is always utilized.
- Identify and eliminate laboratory hazards, where possible.
- Provide peer-to-peer feedback, where appropriate.
- Perform analytical and physical testing on in-process, finished product and stability samples.
- Assist QC Team Leader in ensuring compliance with all procedures, safety and regulatory commitments in Quality Control.
- Assist QC Team Leader with oversight of review and approval of analytical data, participating in and qualifying others for this activity.
- Assist QC Team Leader in acting as a change agent for the department to enhance lab operations and infrastructure.
- Maintain analytical methods in the laboratory in a state of validation.
- Assist QC Team Leader in addressing laboratory investigations within specified timeframe. Promote elimination of problems by identifying and addressing root cause.
- Exhibit technical expertise with chromatographic methods (including headspace analysis) and USP methodologies.
- Assist QC Team Leader in improving laboratory capabilities and robustness of methods.
- Write/review protocols for investigational purposes and method validations.
- Act as an investigator on laboratory investigations and identifying root cause.
- Drive technical training into Quality Control operations, including mentoring at the bench. Assist QC Team Leader in training of core skills to the laboratory personnel.
- Assist in developing and executing the business plan for the department.
- Participate in special projects to enhance safety, productivity and quality.
- Participate in inspection readiness activities. Exhibit cross-functional influence.
Basic Minimum Requirements:
- Required to work in a laboratory environment wearing required personal protective equipment.
- Some exposure to hormones, potential allergens or other environmental hazards possible in laboratory environment.
- Proficient in the following computer systems: Empower, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint.
- Self-driven and able to work independently.
- Demonstrates ownership and accountability.
- Strong quality mindset, attention to detail, administrative and organizational skills.
- Able to prioritize to meet customer needs and demonstrates flexibility.
- Good customer service and multi-tasking skills.
- Demonstrates leadership skills.
- Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to be employed in the United States. Elanco does not anticipate providing sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H-1B or TN status) for this employment position.
- Experience is required in performing the following types of assays: HPLC, GC (including headspace analysis), IR, UV/Vis, Dissolutions and routine wet chemistry.
- Demonstrated proficiency with method development (LC/GC), method validation and troubleshooting analytical assays.
- Thorough knowledge of cGMPs and laboratory quality systems.
- Strong problem solving and analytical thinking skills.
Minimum of bachelor's degree with one to four years of experience with method development, validation and troubleshooting assays. Emphasis in analytical chemistry preferred.
Elanco is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status
By applying you agree to our Terms of Service