This job is archived
The Senior Mechanical Product Engineer (Sr. PE - ME) will work as a member of the research and development team in the design, development, testing and integration of electro-mechanical, thermal and optical sub-systems into new, innovative diagnostic products. The Sr. PE - ME will apply best practice development strategy and advanced technical concepts to solve complex problems, distilling them down to effective product offerings which strike the balance of functionality and usability. The Sr. PE - ME will be guided by a thorough stage gate development process and is expected to resolve complex technical challenges that arise during product development. The Sr. PE - ME will work with a global team within the Veterinary Medicine Research and Development (VMRD) organization, in close collaboration with cross functional teams, including Design Engineers, Quality Representatives, Manufacturing, Purchasing, and Suppliers, under the direction of VMRD leadership. The person in this position will often coordinate/influence the design and launch efforts of other engineers and designers during a project, although no specific supervisory responsibilities are attached to the job.
The Sr. PE - ME owns primary design responsibility once functional prototypes have successfully met product design verification requirements. During the early design phases the Sr. PE - ME assists the design team, influencing the design for producibility. The Pr PE is responsible for ensuring product performance is met while scaling the product for launch, successfully guiding the operations team for manufacturing readiness, managing supplier readiness for supplied parts, initial install/implementation oversight in customer facilities, and subject matter expert product support (issue resolution) after launch.
The Senior Mechanical Product Engineer (Sr. PE-ME) has a wide and far reaching variety of responsibilities, including:
· Guiding role in the conceptual development process, to ensure that designs can be implemented into a producible/viable product.
· Technical leadership role in releasing a design into the supply base, manufacturing process, and customer environments.
· Will resolve design issues discovered in functional prototype testing and finalize design for manufacturability (internal and supply base) without compromising product performance.
· Will resolve all technical issues arising from First Article submittals, Verification and Validation testing of parts released from production ready tools, and any technical issues which arise in the commercial environment.
· Specific experience in mechanical design, FEA, 3D modeling, CAD Practices, GD&T, etc.
· Collaborate to develop electro-mechanical, fluidic, and thermal management systems while understanding the interface to electrical control systems and underlying biological process needs.
· Participate in developing product specifications, DFMEA, PFMEA, validation test plans, and risk assessments for reporting of product development status/metrics and updating at subsequent phases.
· Oversee drawing development, participate in drawing change process, drawing dimensioning and review skills to ensure documentation accuracy for proper part release and control.
· Coordinate problem solving and technical support - including managing root cause analysis, interpretation of test results, associated design updates/changes, and oversight of technical issues with the supply base (anlaysis lead, technical liaison).
· Employ root cause analysis techniques, such as 8 Discipline, 5 whys, and fish bone diagraming of issues.
· Collaborate with manufacturing to ensure technical process development and related documentation align with design and product requirements.
· Oversee build of first article products/critical components to ensure product meets specifications, timelines and budget.
· Actively engages in technical redesign for cost reduction.
· Initiates justification and implementation of new components and technology, when obsolescence occurs.
· As required, produce detailed drawings, BOM’s and release documents for the above design activities.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
· B.S. in Mechanical Engineering (PE or MSME desired) and a minimum of 10 years demonstrated product engineering experience in a complex engineered product environment. Quality Management System understanding a must.
· 10 years’ experience working with Design and Implementation teams, Operations (Manu., Qual., Metrology) and suppliers from an engineering, technical perspective
TECHNICAL SKILLS REQUIREMENTS
· SAP understanding, Engineering Change Management in PLM environment
· Mechanical engineering understanding of 3D Modeling, FEA, Structural/Stress Analysis, Drawing Management
· Root cause analysis techniques and documentation.
· Demonstrated proficiency in engineering specifications and design for automated equipment.
· Knowledge of materials and manufacturing/construction principles.
· Demonstrated experience with Solid Works, CAD, drawing storage/control, SAP, and other.
· Demonstrated proficiency with modern engineering tools, such as 3d printing, rapid prototyping, etc.
· Demonstrated experience in critical thinking and problem-solving skills, planning and organizing, decision-making
· Excellent communication skills, influencing and leading, facilitation and teamwork capabilities.
PHYSICAL POSITION REQUIREMENTS
Candidate will work mostly at the Durham site either in an office environment or a development lab environment. Some domestic and international; travel is occasionally required.Full timeRegularColleagueZoetis is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status or any other protected classification. Disabled individuals are given an equal opportunity to use our online application system. We offer reasonable accommodations as an alternative if requested by an individual with a disability. Please contact Zoetis Colleague Services at [Register to View] to request an accommodation. Zoetis also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must possess or obtain authorization to work in the US for Zoetis. Zoetis retains sole and exclusive discretion to pursue sponsorship for the acquisition or maintenance of nonimmigrant status and employment eligibility, considering factors such as availability of qualified US workers. Individuals requiring sponsorship must disclose this fact. Please note that Zoetis seeks information related to job applications from candidates for jobs in the U.S. solely via the following: (1) our company website at www.Zoetis.com/careers site, or (2) via email to/from addresses using only the Zoetis domain of [Register to View] In addition, Zoetis does not use Google Hangout for any recruitment related activities. Any solicitation or request for information related to job applications with Zoetis via any other means and/or utilizing email addresses with any other domain should be disregarded. In addition, Zoetis will never ask candidates to make any type of personal financial investment related to gaining employment with Zoetis.