As a leading global animal health company, Elanco delivers innovative products and services to improve the health of pets and farm animals around the world because we believe making animals' lives better, makes life better. Since 1954, we have provided solutions that support veterinarians, farmers and pet owners to advance our vision of Food and Companionship Enriching Life. Elanco's promise to employees: Together, we foster an inclusive culture where everyone can make a difference, encouraging ownership, growth and well-being.
Senior Advisor - Research Project Leader, reporting to Executive Director - Product Concept Generation & Confirmation will be responsible for the generation and confirmation of new product concepts in assigned areas of animal health. Collaborating with teams across Elanco's research organization to generate and shape new internal discovery ideas and evaluate external technologies for technical merit and strategic fit, this role will be critical in driving Elanco's new product development. It will require effective engagement across other corporate functions such as efficacy, DMPK/safety, CMC, marketing, legal (IP) and innovation regulatory. This role will act as a subject matter experts to deliver of Proof-of-Concept validated projects for transition into full development. Products will include development of pharmaceutical, vaccine or nutraceutical products (FDA, EMA, EPA, USDA, non-regulated), medical devices, consumer care products, wearable lifestyle devices, medical diagnostics and/or SaaS products.
- Define appropriate strategy to validate assigned initiatives including identification of experimental design, prioritization of data / insights required and definition of staged approached to appropriately assess potential and risk of the initiative under evaluation.
- Drives a risk-based project approach, able to navigate incremental funding schemes, aligned with generating optimal minimally viable products, ready for successful full development.
- Deliberate bias to the project need, adept at guiding team to pull the right people and resources from wherever in Elanco (and externally, when indicated).
- Embraces the concept of servant leadership, constantly working to ensure resources are available for team/project needs.
- Actively works to ensure team relates to the customer and a strong cadence of engagement with marketing and commercial units is present to ensure robust customer insights are shaping project ideas/plans.
- Provide information to facilitate accurate and timely project and budget forecasts.
- Manage project timeline and budget deliverables to facilitate delivery of the Elanco R&D pipeline.
- Responsible for ensuring compliance with global regulatory standards and guidelines, corporate policies, and procedures, including quality standards, animal welfare and HSE policies to protect the safety of each employee, animal use and the environment. Demonstrate high levels of adaptability, flexibility and learning agility.
- Identify Key Opinion Leaders for pet health therapeutic focus areas, represent Elanco in academic and strategic partner situations.
- Provide creative and proactive solutions to development challenges.
- Ensure logical robustness and potential to deliver desired outcome in all studies, evaluations or experiments executed in support of assigned initiatives.
- Assist in drafting regulatory submissions and participate during dossier review process.
- Ensure scientific integrity and animal welfare in all activities.
- Leading through influence, inspiration, and integrity
- Providing solutions to customers and finding novel approaches to address
- Willingness to adapt approach as the internal and external environment changes
- Demonstrating resilience and embracing failures as key to learning
- Master's degree in animal sciences or agricultural sciences
- 8+ years minimum experience within animal health research & product development, pharmaceutical research & development, and/or pharmaceutical manufacturing
- DVM, DVM/PhD
- Deep understanding of pet health internal medicine
- PhD in animal health sciences
- Experience in strategy development or strategic marketing including experience leading new product development or product launches
- Strong focus on people development and alignment of team members to passions, leveraging strengths.
- Strong sense of curiosity and understanding of industry, competitive landscape, and relevancy of solutions to customers
- Comfortable and competent in ambiguity and working outside core competency areas
- Travel expected: 10 - 25%
Notification of Drug testing and Background Checks
Elanco conducts urinalysis drug testing as a mandatory part of its pre-employment application and background check process after acceptance of a conditional offer of employment by an applicant. The drug testing will be conducted by a certified laboratory/testing service selected by Elanco, in accordance with the procedures required by applicable state and federal law. Additionally, Elanco requires successful completion of a urinalysis drug test if it has reasonable suspicion that an employee is under the influence of drugs or alcohol which adversely affects or could adversely affect the employee's job performance as allowed by applicable law. Tested applicants will be given a copy of any positive test result. All test results shall be considered confidential and shall not be disclosed by Elanco, other than to those persons for whom such disclosure is necessary. Positive test results, or a refusal to consent to and participate in pre-employment drug testing, shall be grounds for denial of employment. Cooperation in scheduling the testing is important for processing an application for employment. By signing your acceptance to an offer of employment, you consent to be drug tested and acknowledge you have thoroughly read the foregoing notice and policy, and you understand and agree that in order to be considered for employment with Elanco, you will be required to comply with Elanco's drug testing policy. Elanco's background check requirements also include but are not limited to an acceptable criminal background check, educational verification, job history verification and motor vehicle report (if required to drive a company vehicle). If appropriate for the role, as outlined on the job posting, successful completion of Post Offer Exam, Work Simulation and/or Administrative Skills Testing may also be required.
Elanco is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status