Zoetis Reference Laboratories (ZRL) is currently seeking a full time Clinical Pathologist to oversee the Cytopathology Service for the national ZRL network of laboratories (multiple US locations). Zoetis Reference lab is a new division of Zoetis Global Diagnostics and currently includes legacy Phoenix, ZN, and Ethos laboratories.
Responsibilities of this role will include oversight of the national cytopathology service, including supervision of diagnostic clinical pathologists. Some interpretation of cytology, hematology, chemistry, coagulation, and endocrine testing as well as consultation with veterinarian clients is also expected.
The successful candidate will have strong leadership skills, a passion for supporting the veterinary community. This is a values-driven organization where service is priority.
LOCATION: US Remote
- Overseeing the Cytopathology Service and ensuring that veterinarian clients reliably receive high quality results as relates to cytopathology and hematology reviews and clinical pathology consultations
- Development of the diagnostic clinical pathology team, including recruitment and hiring, periodic performance evaluation, professional development, engagement in the clinical service, and ensuring job satisfaction
- Fostering a positive, collaborative relationship within the diagnostic clinical pathology team and between clinical pathologists and other ZRL colleagues
- Facilitating opportunities for continuing education, mentorship, and participation in laboratory improvement initiatives or other projects, as appropriate
- Keeping diagnostic clinical pathologists updated on new developments relevant to diagnostic service
- Supporting standardization of equipment and processes relevant to the Cytopathology Service and ensuring that all quality standards are met
- Identifying and implementing ways to improve the service and/or resolve problems
- Liaising between diagnostic clinical pathologists and leadership teams
- Balancing diagnostic clinical pathology duties with those of an administrator
- A portion of the Director of Cytopathology’s duties will involve diagnostic service, including cytopathology (glass and digital), CBC and urine reviews, protein electrophoresis review and interpretation, and consultation with referring veterinarians regarding current, prior or future cases and general clinical pathology questions that could include CBC/chemistry/UA, endocrine, serology, and protein electrophoresis results.
- Participating in and contributing to the quality assurance program, new test suggestions, and new test validation
- Supervising and assisting in training the laboratory technicians/assistants
- Participating in continuing education programs for our clients, in the lab or in clinic, or at larger conferences, if desired
- DVM (or equivalent); ACVP Certified
- DVM/VMD degree
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- Commitment to ensuring high quality service and results
- Excellent leadership and interpersonal skills; should have proven skills as an effective team player
- Professional presence
- Ability to motivate and empower all team members and colleagues
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with strong analytic and problem-solving abilities
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong diagnostic skills in Clinical Pathology
- Ability to prioritize tasks and projects and to work at a fast pace while ensuring the high level of quality that is expected
- Flexibility to changing methods and technologies