Consultant - Health & Safety
As a leading global animal health company, Elanco delivers innovative products and services to improve the health of pets and farm animals around the world because we believe making animals' lives better, makes life better. Since 1954, we have provided solutions that support veterinarians, farmers and pet owners to advance our vision of Food and Companionship Enriching Life. Elanco's promise to employees: Together, we foster an inclusive culture where everyone can make a difference, encouraging ownership, growth and well-being.
This role is responsible for implementing the Health & Safety aspects of the site in conformance with OSHA regulations and Elanco HSE Standards at the Elanco Elwood and Elanco Kansas City locations. This includes a special focus on the development, implementation, and sustainability of safety programs at the sites. This role needs to be knowledgeable in regulations and requirements of this broad functional assignment.
Position may have exposure to potential allergens or other environmental hazards.
This position will also serve as backup to the Environmental role at the site and will require RCRA training, handling hazardous material and or waste, and signing manifest documents for the shipment of these materials.
The HSE Consultant located primarily at Elwood provides oversight for multiple aspects of the site Health, Safety, Environmental, and Loss Prevention at the two sites. The site includes the following operations: Bioprocessing, Pharmaceutical OSD and Liquid manufacturing, Fill/Finish, Warehouse, Engineering/Maintenance, Laboratories, and Office.
Specific responsibilities and tasks:
- Development and implementation of Health & Safety programs and training at the two sites.
- Use of risk assessment.
- Safety committee leadership.
- Lead towards safety first quality always site culture and mindset.
- Responsibility for site compliance to applicable regulations and internal company standards.
- Responsibility for site serious injury and fatality prevention programs.
- Responsibility for sustainability of HSE programs.
- Responsible for regulatory documentation according to legal and corporate requirements.
- Implement action items according to the annual HSE Plan; assist with development of HSE Plan items.
- Technical support and oversight to site regarding HSE and loss prevention regulations (daily operations and projects).
- Assistance with backup support to environmental program management.
- Auditing (internal and external)
- Change Management
- Injury/illness management
- OSHA recordkeeping
- Root Cause Analysis
- Benchmarking with other sites to learn and apply best practices.
- May include cross training in engineering functions, including contractor safety coordination, site security, and work order administration.
Basic Minimum Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree in HSE or Safety Related Field or High School Diploma and 4 years' experience in HSE or Safety Related Field.
- Experience in health and safety closely related technical fields.
- Experience in dealing with health and safety issues.
- Experience in regulated environment (e.g., cGMP or equivalent industrial regulations)
- Experience in developing and delivering high quality employee training.
- Experience in developing and implementing Safety programs compliant with OSHA requirements.
- Knowledge of all categories of manufacturing compliance management systems- quality, safety, environmental.
- Experience in waste management and environmental compliance
- HSE Certification(s)
Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to be employed in the United States. Elanco does not anticipate providing sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H-1B or TN status) for this employment position.
Completion of Post Offer Exam (POE), Completion of Work Simulation (SIM) or Completion of Administrative Skills Testing if applicable.
This position is based in Elwood, Kansas 3-4 days/week, but will support our Elanco Kansas City (Lenexa, KS area) site 1-2 days per week and is expected to have a strong presence and influence at both locations. Other travel is minimal and involves mostly interaction with other Elanco sites in the U.S.
Elanco is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status
By applying you agree to our Terms of Service