As a leading global animal health company, Elanco delivers innovative products and services to improve the health of pets and farm animals around the world because we believe making animals' lives better, makes life better. Since 1954, we have provided solutions that support veterinarians, farmers and pet owners to advance our vision of Food and Companionship Enriching Life. Elanco's promise to employees: Together, we foster an inclusive culture where everyone can make a difference, encouraging ownership, growth and well-being.
Pet Health Veterinary Technical Consultant - Central (Ontario), 9 month contract - maternity leave
Delivering customer value and increasing overall business results.
Is the external and internal technical advocate of product brands, as well as the company Brand. Promotes Elanco and its products in the veterinary field, i.e. key opinion leaders, veterinary schools, animal health technician colleges and veterinary clinics. The Veterinary Technical Consultant (“VTC”) provides technical input in case of questions; requests or complaints related to Elanco products or diseases areas. If appropriate, the VTC will conduct demonstration trials for customer and/or product registration use according to established protocols. The VTC will also be responsible for the interpretation and communication strategy of the results.
The VTC builds and maintains relationships with key opinion leaders, providing direct product support and works to maintain network with veterinary specialists related to current Elanco portfolio. The VTC is also the primary contact at veterinary universities, aiming to support students, staff and faculty.
With their in-depth understanding of customer needs, the VTC will support product innovation by anticipating change in market needs and preparing for the future.
Support the marketing positioning of current products and claims through technical inputs, creative thinking and experience trials. VTC is responsible for technical accuracy of promotional materials.
VTC plays a key role in training the sales teams through internal meetings, onboardings and field ride-withs to ensure ongoing technical coaching of the sales team.
The VTC will provide support for SAE’s (suspected Adverse Drug Events) investigations as required.
Functions, Duties, Tasks:
- Provide technical product and disease training, supporting the product positioning, to customers, channel partners and the sales team during onboarding and ongoing.
- Handles technical inquiries on products requiring veterinary expertise such as off label indications, technical advice on products/clinical cases and provide scientific studies in response to specific requests.
- Build and maintain relationships with key opinion leaders and key accounts through scheduled face-to-face interactions, and supporting the strategic planning and coordination of KOL speaking engagements.
- Promotes company name and products at the veterinary schools, by calling on specialists and key influencers
- Follow up on technical questions and complaints related to our product portfolio including potential adverse events.
- Involve the Pharmacovigilance group when hearing about sAE's according to internal SOP, and provide support for sAE investigation upon request by the Pharmacovigilance group.
- Support the sales team in targeted field ride-withs to provide technical coaching and veterinary clinic support
- Responsible for the technical accuracy of promotional materials.
- Assists in the production of technical tools and internal documents needed to support the sales force.
- Reviews assigned trade journals and scientific symposium proceedings to make others aware of information that may impact Elanco products.
- Develops and conducts technical presentations to a variety of audiences.
- Assists and participates in addressing and solving issues related to competitive products and formulating responses to technical challenges that may arise.
- Effectively communicate with management and R&D personnel on new product ideas or product improvements and provide technical advice to Sales and Marketing on ways to improve market share of Elanco products as necessary.
- Effectively communicate with Regulatory Affairs and R&D on needed label changes on products to avoid misunderstanding or misuse of these products.
- Work actively with the Marketing team, as needed, to help with advertising ideas, actual advertising copy and ad-editor.
- Assist in the development and implementation of strategic brand activities.
- Provide trade show technical support both nationally and internationally, as needed.
Minimum Qualification (education, experience and/or training, required certifications):
- DVM degree required
- Two year’s field experience (practice or commercial experience).
- Team player with high degree of customer focus (Listening and questioning).
- Good communication, presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Organizational skills: ability to handle several tasks simultaneously.
- Excellent English (both passive and active).
- Computer literate on MS Office, MS PowerPoint and Outlook (email).
- Bilingualism (English/French) may be required depending on the geography.
- Driving skills, and a valid provincial drivers’ license.
- Candidate for this position must be based in Ontario, Canada
- Advanced degree in business or work experience as veterinary technical consultant are both positives attributes.
- Significant field time, 3 days per week, including occasional overnights
- Expect travel to vary by region and time of year, overall 50-60% travel
Elanco is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status