KINDRED SPIRITS ASSISTANT MANAGER JOB DESCRIPTION
For 17 years, Kindred Spirits Animal Sanctuary (KSAS) has been dedicated to providing end of life and hospice care to older, unwanted dogs, horses and poultry in a serene sanctuary setting that is sustainable, environmentally conscious, toxin-free, and ecologically sound. Our Wellness Care Program helps our senior animals to restore their vitality and thrive and feel safe in a community of their own kind. KSAS practices ecologically sound and sustainable practices in all aspects of our care and operation. We are located 30 minutes South of Santa Fe, New Mexico on Highway 14 in a 5-acre organic farm setting.
To ensure the position is a good fit for both parties, KSAS requires 25 hours of pre-hire volunteering.
The Assistant Manager role at KSAS is a full-time position working at least 40 hours per week to support elder and hospice animal care and nonprofit sanctuary operations. This position requires on the job training and personal learning in each area of sanctuary operations. The Assistant Manager is expected to learn the KSAS Wellness Care Program and develop skills and experience for ongoing assessment in the fluctuating conditions of end-of-life care.
The Assistant Manager supervises KSAS Animal Care Giver staff and volunteers who care for the resident animals, monitor the safety and maintenance of the grounds and facility environment, and coordinates all aspects of daily care plans and health checks, along with feeding, schedules, and medications. The work is complex and structured to responsibly maintain a consistent and high standard of care for our animal residents. The Assistant Manager is responsible for ensuring employee coverage at KSAS on weekends and holidays.
- Must have a minimum of two years of experience working in management related to animal care.
- Must have a minimum of two years of vet clinic experience.
- Must have certification or licensure as a vet tech.
- Must have direct, hands-on experience working in small nonprofit animal rescue.
- Must have health assessment skills.
- Must have experience in teaching and explaining at a basic level.
- Must have experience in ordering medications, dressing changes, and basic wound care.
- Must have leadership experience, preferrable at the same clinic, which could include head tech or team lead.
- Must have reliable transportation.
- Must be comfortable with Microsoft Office programs including excel.
- + Home euthanasia experience/certification a plus +
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES – ASSISTANT MANAGER
The Assistant Manager is expected to learn and grow into managing the following responsibilities:
- Work with the Executive Director to help execute the vision and strategic plan for KSAS within the agreed timeframes, budget, and policies.
- Work with Executive Director to help manage the annual operating budget.
- Help implement policies and procedures with Executive Director.
- Submit timely reports and information to Executive Director as requested.
- Become familiar with KSAS’s organization as a nonprofit, the bylaws, operating procedures, and future goals.
- Assists Executive Director in interviewing, hiring, and training Animal Caregiver staff.
- Defines and communicates Animal Caregiver roles, responsibilities and accountability.
- Provides day-to-day supervision of Animal Caregiver staff, volunteers, and administrative assistant.
- Assists Executive Director in managing all aspects of Wellness Program operations.
- Makes suggestions and updates to KSAS Operating Manual as needed.
- Creates/approves employee schedules; approves hours and time off.
- Assists Executive Director in employee development, conducting employee performance reviews, and counseling.
- Helps Executive Director develop and maintain staff orientation and training manuals, emergency evacuation plan, safety manual, and other necessary documents.
- Leads Employee Orientation and ongoing Education and Training Program for Animal Care Givers.
- Manage employees and volunteers in the care, feeding, and maintenance of resident animals - dogs, horses, poultry – plus grounds, interior maintenance housekeeping.
- Fulfill 40 hours per week and have a flexible schedule as some weeks Assistant Manager may work more than 40 hours.
- Monitor individualized feeding according to guidelines and Wellness Care Program.
- Perform daily rounds to assess animals’ health and manage animals’ care charts.
- Coordinate Daily Caregiving procedures for continuity of care for the animals.
- Schedule and administer medication to animals; meet with veterinarians.
- Supervise and educate employees throughout the day on animal caregiving procedures.
- Schedule and host Sanctuary visitors.
- Schedule and assign Volunteer jobs.
- Work with Executive Director to order and pick-up supplies and medications.
- Train new employees and volunteers in Animal Care and Administrative Assistant duties.
- Be able to step in to fill positions in the event that KSAS is short staffed.
- Advocates for and represents KSAS on-site and in the community.
- Develops relationships with community leaders to ensure support for the mission of the Sanctuary and inclusion in matters impacting KSAS and communities served.
- Manages and organizes Volunteers. Ensures that an active and effective volunteer recruitment, development and recognition program is ongoing.
- Assists Executive Director to coordinate and host events throughout the year.
- Assists Executive Director in building and strengthening donor relations.