This job is archived
Kalamazoo Michigan is the world headquarters for Veterinary Medicine Research and Development (VMRD) for Zoetis. The Veterinary Service group, within Animal Research Support (ARS), at Zoetis, has the mission and responsibility of developing and implementing the program of veterinary care and providing veterinary support to VMRD projects at the Richland and Kalamazoo sites. We are seeking an experienced, innovative and highly motivated veterinary technician to contribute towards delivering an exceptional animal care program as well as partnering with VMRD researchers to conduct excellent research studies.
- Suitable candidates will be Licensed Veterinary Technicians from an accredited institution.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in clinical practice with a primary focus on companion animal medicine and surgery is preferred.
- Strong hands-on expertise in a range of companion animal techniques including handling, restraint, dosing, venipuncture, clinical examination and diagnosis and minor surgical procedures.
The LVT will be in Animal Research Support, as a part of the Veterinary Services team. This role will support veterinary services and job duties may include:
- Inventory control
- Medical case management
- Colony diet and weight management
- Colony preventive health management, scheduling, and administration
- Daily detailed observations and recording in electronic medical records or as raw study data
- Attendance at Veterinary Service meetings
- Attendance and participation in clinical rounds
- Working on miscellaneous projects for veterinary service
- Regulatory paperwork as needed
- Dental and surgical procedures including all pre-operative preparation, perioperative and post-operative care and monitoring on animals
- Anesthesia monitoring
- Training of animal care technicians for companion animal observations, husbandry and procedures
- Technical procedures include but are not limited to: blood draws on companion animal species, urine collection, TPR and triage examination, IV catheterization, fluid administration, hospitalization and ICU care, euthanasia and necropsy support, diagnostic testing including in house bloodwork, fecal exams and urinalysis
- Study specific procedures may include but are not limited to: administration of experimental products, monitoring of animals, surgical support for surgical models, sedation or anesthesia support for models, blood collection
- Lab and veterinary equipment maintenance and reference lab submissions.
In addition, the LVT may take responsibility for leading the colony anagement for dedicated in-house colonies, and all duties listed above will be prioritized to this colony. This individual may be required to work weekends at a frequency that is dictated by the needs of the colony but may include up to every other weekend.
Experience executing the program of veterinary care in AAALAC accredited programs
Experience working in an environment that is routinely inspected by regulatory agencies (e.g. USDA, FDA)
Previous experience in an animal research setting.Full timeRegularColleagueZoetis is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status or any other protected classification. Disabled individuals are given an equal opportunity to use our online application system. We offer reasonable accommodations as an alternative if requested by an individual with a disability. Please contact Zoetis Colleague Services at [Register to View] to request an accommodation. Zoetis also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must possess or obtain authorization to work in the US for Zoetis. Zoetis retains sole and exclusive discretion to pursue sponsorship for the acquisition or maintenance of nonimmigrant status and employment eligibility, considering factors such as availability of qualified US workers. Individuals requiring sponsorship must disclose this fact. Please note that Zoetis seeks information related to job applications from candidates for jobs in the U.S. solely via the following: (1) our company website at www.Zoetis.com/careers site, or (2) via email to/from addresses using only the Zoetis domain of [Register to View] In addition, Zoetis does not use Google Hangout for any recruitment related activities. Any solicitation or request for information related to job applications with Zoetis via any other means and/or utilizing email addresses with any other domain should be disregarded. In addition, Zoetis will never ask candidates to make any type of personal financial investment related to gaining employment with Zoetis.