Platinum Performance was founded in 1996 by renowned equine veterinarian, Dr. Doug Herthel to support his cases in veterinary practice. From its earliest days, the company has held a strong commitment to veterinarians and the highest respect for their role in guiding the health, wellness and performance of the horse. For 25 years, Platinum Performance, now a wholly owned subsidiary of Zoetis, has been developing, manufacturing and marketing premium nutritional product formulas for wellness and athletic performance in horses as well as a range of pet care brands and human nutritional supplements.
The Platinum Performance Veterinary Advisor is a highly specialized role that is accountable for delivering accelerated business growth of the Platinum Performance portfolio through a consultative approach and education with clients requiring nutrition expertise. This role is primarily responsible for increasing the adoption and supporting the implementation of the Platinum Performance product line (equine focused, also including petcare and human products) with veterinary clinics, horse owners, trainers, veterinary schools, and KOLs in the Northeast and Upper Midwest U.S. based in NY, NJ or PA. The candidate must demonstrate a high proficiency in technical nutrition expertise, illustrate exceptional demand creation skills by leveraging business acumen, customer needs analysis, and value proposition communication.
This position will call on key equine veterinary clinics, horse farms, equine events, and KOL’s. These activities include the development of a comprehensive territory business and activation plan, execution of the Platinum Performance strategy, and business to business account management which will require the leadership of an internal account team spans multiple specialties and reporting lines. The Platinum Performance Veterinary Advisor will be the lead for resource deployment according to the account plan and opportunities for nutrition; be responsible for leading through influence a dedicated team that develops novel offerings that differentiate us from competitors and ensure that goals are met. It is essential for the person in this position to have technical nutrition competency, in depth knowledge of the horse and veterinary industry and business acumen. The position will require travel and nights away from home.
- Understand and communicate technical nutrition concepts and research to veterinarians in a manner that drives interest, creates believers in the power of nutrition resulting in advocates that think of nutrition every case, every time.
- Understand key industry trends, opportunities, and KOL networks. Effectively communicate relevant insights to clients that create value for their business.
- Understand highly technical nutritional research findings and the related implication to clients.
- Lead all in-practice nutrition training activities with veterinarians, and clinic staff to maximize impact of nutrition in practice.
- Consult with veterinarians and horse owners to develop a protocol in a way that improves horse wellness and performance.
- Educate horse owners in a manner that allows for understanding of highly technical nutritional information through various methods such as barn meetings, vet clinic horse owner education events, and one-on-one interactions, building from feeds and feeding to cellular nutrition.
- Lead account team nutritional training program so that team members are self-sufficient in basic product information, nutrition concepts, and development of protocols over time.
- Quantify and qualify differences among Platinum Performance products and those of our competitors.
- Establish rapport and credibility with all clinics in sales area through focusing on questioning to understand customer needs, drivers, and aspirations in a manner that brings value and provides sales opportunities.
- Proactively seize selling opportunities by demonstrating the ability to move seamlessly between technical product expertise and business development discussions; this includes consistently demonstrating Solution Selling skills.
- Call on equine veterinary clinics, trainers, horse owners and influencers.
- Demonstrate the value of the Platinum Performance portfolio through a thorough understanding of our clients business and processes to ensure successful implementation.
- Communicate effectively to deliver training and sales presentations to veterinary clinics, trainers, horse owners, and all related influencers.
- Exemplify what it means to be a change agent, continuous learner, pushing self / others beyond dominant logic.
- Achieve territory, account team and national performance goals.
Business Planning, Resource Allocation and Optimization
- Manage a broad geographic area with a diverse customer base to increased market penetration and achieve business objectives.
- Develop Territory and Account Team Plans and Priorities through data analysis, planning and utilization of resources.
- Deliver regular business reviews to needed stakeholders.
- Plan so that resources are ready when accounts are ready to progress with implementing nutrition in practice.
- Continually educate oneself on industry and business topics related to the equine nutrition, equine market and veterinary industry.
- Consistently log call activity in Salesforce.
Strategic Account Team Leadership/Teamwork, Collaboration and Coordination
- Lead in a cross-functional team-based environment, align with and influence internal and external stakeholders.
- Build relationships within key stakeholders including equine veterinarians, horse trainers, barn managers, universities, local influencers, and KOLs.
- Educate peers on equine nutrition and how it fits into the continuum of care.
- Conduct quarterly business reviews with needed stakeholders to adjust the strategies, tactics, and investments based on changing needs to maximize territory and account performance.
- Focus on teamwork – share, collaborate and act as a team player.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned and directed.
- The position requires the ability to call on Equine Veterinarians, Horse Trainers, Barn Managers, Horse Owners, and Academic influencers.
- The position also requires the ability to effectively work cross functionally with internal colleagues as a team.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Undergraduate degree (BS/BA) in Business Administration, Nutrition or related field
- MBA, M.S., PhD in Nutrition or DVM is preferred but not required.
- 5+ years of related experience including equine nutrition, strategic account management, sales management and technical services experience is preferred.
- Animal Health experience and knowledge of equine supplement and feed production experience is preferred.
- Ability and willingness to travel overnight approximately at least 70% of the time to include some weekends.
TECHNICAL SKILLS REQUIREMENTS
- Technical knowledge and proficiency in developing supplement recommendations.
- Excellent oral, written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with horse barn feed management.
- Proficiency with computer applications including Salesforce, Keynote, PowerPoint, Excel and Word.
- Equine or Animal Science or Advanced Nutrition degree is a plus.
- Project / Process management experience.
PHYSICAL POSITION REQUIREMENTS
Note the physical conditions in which work will be performed, if applicable to the position. Examples: Lifting, sitting, standing, walking, ability to travel, drive, unusual attendance requirements, weekend work or travel requirements, etc.
- The position will require a valid driver’s license.
- Willingness to drive to customer locations across defined geography – Veterinary clinics, horse barns, training facilities.
- Requires individual to be able to work in clinics, horse barns, training facilities, and equine event locales.
- Requires individual to be willing to work with horses from basic husbandry and behavioral observation.