This one-year, full-time Veterinarian Internship will work in our Cattery/Kennel at our Saint Joseph, Missouri Product Technology Center and provide comprehensive veterinary care for a strictly canine and feline population.
1. Assist with and perform necessary veterinary procedures to insure the health and well-being of the cats and dogs
2. Knowledge of and compliance with the Animal Welfare Act and all procedures and protocols in the Nest R&D PetCare Manual
3. Responsible for maintenance of all health records as required by the record retention policy and the Animal Welfare Act
4. Responsible for emergency situations (20%), including an occasional night shift (during whelping)
5. Ensure Compliance with Company policies and procedures by group members
6. Complete employee orientation (overview of corporate policies, facility and department responsibilities, safety procedures, standard operating procedures [SOP], drug log maintenance, harassment training, and an on-line nutrition overview) and will assume primary responsibility for cases within the first two weeks
7. Primary mentoring will be provided by staff veterinarians; however, the intern will have opportunities to interact with Nestle Purina nutrition scientists, collaborative researchers, behavior scientists, and, if appropriate, engineers
8. Perform physical examinations, request and perform diagnostic tests, determine rule outs and diagnoses, and prescribe treatment. They will have the opportunity to develop technical skills such as venipuncture, catheter placement, cystocentesis, and ultrasonography
9. Perform soft tissue surgeries such as ovariohysterectomies, castrations, mass removals, abdominal exploratories, and cystotomies. They may also assist/perform emergency surgeries such as caesarian sections, splenectomies and GDV’s. There may be opportunities to assist/perform orthopedic surgery
10. Frequently perform and oversee routine dental prophylaxis and oral procedures.
11. Conduct all activity in compliance with generally accepted veterinary practice, all required Company policies and procedures, and/or Good Laboratory Practices (GLP)
12. Maintain a safe, clean and sanitary work environment
13. Provide clinical diagnostics and treatment regimens for sick animals
14. Travel as necessary
• The intern will have the opportunity to develop a case study or subject matter to present to the veterinary team or employees of the PetCare facility.
• The intern must obtain state licensure in Missouri within 90 days of their date of hire. Nestle Purina will provide financial assistance for licensure fees.
• The intern may have the opportunity to participate in and contribute to a project while working at the St. Joseph facility.
• The intern will complete 5-10 continuing education credits by attending local VMA meetings, through online CE through DVM 360/VIN, etc., and/or by attending a portion of the regional conference in Kansas City, MO.
• Additional duties as assigned.
SUPERVISION GIVEN AND RECEIVED:
• Supervision provided by the Section Leader – Veterinary Services and Veterinarian
JOB QUALIFICATIONS (Education, Experience, and Knowledge):
• DVM degree
• Excellent animal handling skills
• Good management, communication and interpersonal skills.
• Computer literacy.
• Good organizational skills
SPECIALIZED KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS PREFERRED BUT NOT REQUIRED:
• Experience in a research environment or clinical practice
It is our business imperative to remain a very inclusive workplace.
To our veterans and separated service members, you're at the forefront of our minds as we recruit top talent to join Nestlé. The skills you've gained while serving our country, such as flexibility, agility, and leadership, are much like the skills that will make you successful in this role. In addition, with our commitment to an inclusive work environment, we recognize the exceptional engagement and innovation displayed by individuals with disabilities. Nestlé seeks such skilled and qualified individuals to share our mission where you’ll join a cohort of others who have chosen to call Nestlé home.
The Nestlé Companies are an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer seeking diversity in qualified applicants for employment. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, gender, gender identity, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, perceived disability, medical condition, genetic information, veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other protected status, as defined by applicable law.
Prior to the next step in the recruiting process, we welcome you to inform us confidentially if you may require any special accommodations in order to participate fully in our recruitment experience. Contact us at [Register to View] [Register to View] or please dial 711 and provide this number to the operator: 1-[Register to View] .
Job: Veterinarian Intern Primary Location: St. Joseph, MO US Other Location: Career Area: Professional Nestle Purina PetCare Company https://nestleusa.taleo.net/careersection/9/jobdetail.ftl?lang=en&job=20006831