This one-year, full-time Veterinarian Internship will work in our Cattery/Kennel at our Saint Joseph, Missouri Product Technology Center and provide comprehensive veterinary care for a strictly canine and feline population.
1. Assist with and perform necessary veterinary procedures to insure the health and well-being of the cats and dogs
2. Knowledge of and compliance with the Animal Welfare Act and all procedures and protocols in the Nest R&D PetCare Manual
3. Responsible for maintenance of all health records as required by the record retention policy and the Animal Welfare Act
4. Responsible for emergency situations (20%), including an occasional night shift (during whelping)
5. Ensure Compliance with Company policies and procedures by group members
6. Complete employee orientation (overview of corporate policies, facility and department responsibilities, safety procedures, standard operating procedures [SOP], drug log maintenance, harassment training, and an on-line nutrition overview) and will assume primary responsibility for cases within the first two weeks
7. Primary mentoring will be provided by staff veterinarians; however, the intern will have opportunities to interact with Nestle Purina nutrition scientists, collaborative researchers, behavior scientists, and, if appropriate, engineers
8. Perform physical examinations, request and perform diagnostic tests, determine rule outs and diagnoses, and prescribe treatment. They will have the opportunity to develop technical skills such as venipuncture, catheter placement, cystocentesis, and ultrasonography
9. Perform soft tissue surgeries such as ovariohysterectomies, castrations, mass removals, abdominal exploratories, and cystotomies. They may also assist/perform emergency surgeries such as caesarian sections, splenectomies and GDV’s. There may be opportunities to assist/perform orthopedic surgery
10. Frequently perform and oversee routine dental prophylaxis and oral procedures.
11. Conduct all activity in compliance with generally accepted veterinary practice, all required Company policies and procedures, and/or Good Laboratory Practices (GLP)
12. Maintain a safe, clean and sanitary work environment
13. Provide clinical diagnostics and treatment regimens for sick animals
14. Travel as necessary
• The intern will have the opportunity to develop a case study or subject matter to present to the veterinary team or employees of the PetCare facility.
• The intern must obtain state licensure in Missouri within 90 days of their date of hire. Nestle Purina will provide financial assistance for licensure fees.
• The intern may have the opportunity to participate in and contribute to a project while working at the St. Joseph facility.
• The intern will complete 5-10 continuing education credits by attending local VMA meetings, through online CE through DVM 360/VIN, etc., and/or by attending a portion of the regional conference in Kansas City, MO.
• Additional duties as assigned.
SUPERVISION GIVEN AND RECEIVED:
• Supervision provided by the Section Leader – Veterinary Services and Veterinarian
JOB QUALIFICATIONS (Education, Experience, and Knowledge):
• DVM degree
• Excellent animal handling skills
• Good management, communication and interpersonal skills.
• Computer literacy.
• Good organizational skills
SPECIALIZED KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS PREFERRED BUT NOT REQUIRED:
• Experience in a research environment or clinical practice
Job: Veterinarian Intern
Primary Location: St. Joseph, MO US
Career Area: Professional
Nestle Purina PetCare Company