The Principal Mechanical Design Engineer (Pr. MDE) will work as a key member of the research and development team in the design, development, testing and integration of complex bio-device products including automated vaccination equipment, sub-systems, and other bio-device components for the animal health industry. The Pr. MDE will work with a Global BioDevice team within the Veterinary Medicine Research and Development (VMRD) organization, in close collaboration with cross functional teams, including Product Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Software Team, Reliability Engineering, Bioprocess Sciences, Product Lifecycle Management (PLM), Quality Representatives, Manufacturing, Purchasing, and Suppliers, Field Service under the direction of the VMRD leadership. The person in this position will often coordinate/influence the design efforts of other engineers and developers during a project, although no specific supervisory responsibilities are attached to the job.
A Pr. MDE owns the primary design responsibility from Proof of Concept (POC) to the completion of the prototype phase (Alpha). The Pr. MDE will assist the Product Engineering team ensuring product performance is met while scaling the product for launch. This will ensure that the operations team is successful in manufacturing readiness, managing supplier readiness for supplied parts, initial install/implementation oversight in customer facilities, and product support (major issue resolution) after launch.
The Pr. MDE has a wide- and far-reaching variety of responsibilities, including:
- Responsible for the system level conceptual design & development process through completion of the functional prototype phase milestone of the stage gate process. Also participates in ensuring that designs can be implemented into a producible/viable product, in a support role, starting at the final development phase.
- Design and development of electromechanical systems and mechanisms including fluid, pneumatic and drive systems, while understanding the interface to electrical control systems and underlying biological process needs.
- Develop and implement mechanical and system concept design, perform sensitivity analysis, numeric analysis, fluid analysis, timing analysis, or other design analysis.
- Identify and develop new and emerging technologies as well as internal/external competencies needed to advance Biodevice products.
- Contribute to problem solving and technical support, including design updates of equipment, process development and related documentation.
- Present and communicate development/improvement projects status to Engineering Leadership Team (ELT) and Portfolio Governance Team (PGT).
- Communicate proficiently complex technical situations in an understandable way.
- Oversee design and build of Proof of Concept (PoC) and Alpha prototypes to ensure product meets specifications, timelines, and budget.
- Extensive interaction with suppliers in design, analysis, and other technical liaison requirements.
- Implement DFM (Design for Manufacturability), DFS (Design for Serviceability), DFSS (Design for Six Sigma) and DFT (Design for Test), including methods to simplify design Verification and Validation and production testing. Collaborate with Global Manufacturing Services to consider high volume assembly process in design concepts as part of DFM.
- Follow appropriate documentation guidelines, hold, regular meetings, design reviews and other activities in accordance with the Stage Gate process.
- Prepare documentation for stage gate development activities and efforts.
- Preform assessment of system level risks, and proposing, evaluating, and implementing mitigations.
- Develop design specifications, Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA), test plans and application of design robustness disciplines.
- Responsible for adherence to product specifications and applicable industry standards, safety requirements and regulatory compliance.
- Oversee the development of detailed drawings, BOM’s and release in collaboration with the CAD and PLM team, as needed.
- Work cross functionally in a global organization, deploy engineering best practices in the context of a stage-gate development process, and navigate satisfying product technical specifications as prescribed by customer and market requirements.
- Seek opportunities to build new product offerings across the portfolio, consistent with the Zoetis strategy to drive a continuum of care (predict, prevent, detect, and treat) in addressing unmet customer needs.
- Assist in propagating best practices throughout a global engineering team, with emphasis on talent and skill development through influence.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
· B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, MSME or PE preferred.
· Minimum of 15 years demonstrated engineering experience in a complex engineered product environment. This includes working with Design and Implementation teams, Operations (Manufacturing, Quality, Metrology) and suppliers from an engineering, technical perspective.
TECHNICAL SKILLS REQUIREMENTS
· Demonstrated proficiency in machine design including experience with motion control designs for motorized systems, etc. Experience in biodevices, electromechanical and/or automated equipment is preferred.
· Expertise in Solidworks 3D modeling, FEA, Structural/Stress Analysis, Fluidics, Mechanical Tolerancing, GD&T. Knowledge of Mathcad, MATLAB are preferred.
· Knowledgeable in 3D printing, rapid prototyping, and modern engineering techniques for development.
· Demonstrated experience in critical thinking and structured problem-solving skills, decision-making, planning and organizing.
· Demonstrated a strong technical background and ability to find solutions to challenges including new technologies and innovation of complex engineering systems.
· Ability to create novel designs and generate disruptive technologies and/or innovation thus challenging the status quo.
· Ability to co-ordinate and co-develop with other engineering disciplines within the department (for example, Software, Electrical, and Product Engineering) to produce multidisciplinary design solutions.
· Excellent communication skills, influencing and leading, facilitation and teamwork capabilities.
PHYSICAL POSITION REQUIREMENTS
The Pr. MDE will work mostly at the Durham, NC site either in an office environment or a development lab environment. Some domestic and international travel may be required.Full timeRegularColleagueZoetis is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status or any other protected classification. Disabled individuals are given an equal opportunity to use our online application system. We offer reasonable accommodations as an alternative if requested by an individual with a disability. Please contact Zoetis Colleague Services at [Register to View] to request an accommodation. Zoetis also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must possess or obtain authorization to work in the US for Zoetis. Zoetis retains sole and exclusive discretion to pursue sponsorship for the acquisition or maintenance of nonimmigrant status and employment eligibility, considering factors such as availability of qualified US workers. Individuals requiring sponsorship must disclose this fact. Please note that Zoetis seeks information related to job applications from candidates for jobs in the U.S. solely via the following: (1) our company website at www.Zoetis.com/careers site, or (2) via email to/from addresses using only the Zoetis domain of [Register to View] In addition, Zoetis does not use Google Hangout for any recruitment related activities. Any solicitation or request for information related to job applications with Zoetis via any other means and/or utilizing email addresses with any other domain should be disregarded. In addition, Zoetis will never ask candidates to make any type of personal financial investment related to gaining employment with Zoetis.