This job is archived
Our Animal Health Research Laboratories team work tirelessly to invent solutions to improve the health and wellbeing of animals. Our state-of-the-art research facilities create an environment of innovation that enable us to create breakthrough science changing the way we approach animal health challenges.
The Associate Principal Scientist within our company's Animal Health Formulation Group is responsible for the pre-formulation activities of a variety of different small molecule dosage forms (oral, topical, injectable, implant, etc.). The successful candidate will be a self-motivated individual, with an outstanding scientific track-record and passion for pharmaceutical product development. This individual will use innovative approaches to support early development candidates including screening and characterization of early formulations with phase appropriate investment while enabling rapid acceleration when proof of concept is achieved. Other responsibilities include data analysis, authoring of technical reports, patent applications, and engaging with internal and external experts to broaden the formulation toolbox. An ability to build strong ties with our company's Animal Health Discovery Team as well as the broader Formulation and Analytical functions within our company's Animal Health Pharmaceutical Sciences is essential. The candidate should have strong communication skills, good interpersonal and collaboration skills, an ability to multitask and a strong desire to learn and contribute.
- Lead development of early formulation prototypes for discovery compounds using phase appropriate techniques with line of sight to rapid development when proof of concept is achieved
- Make rapid decisions based on interpretation of scientific data and document results and decisions clearly
- Collaborate effectively within and across functional areas and be recognized as a subject matter expert in pre-formulation
- Bring knowledge and creativity to the position as well as have the discipline to drive results
- Independently execute lab experiments while also helping to coach others in a collaborative environment
- Enhance our Company's professional image and competitive advantage through patents, presentations, publications and professional activities and advance areas such as science and technology development, technical and business strategic improvements, business process innovations
- Maintain awareness of relevant new and current technologies, capabilities, and effectively share this knowledge with others
Education Minimum Requirement:
- Ph.D. in Pharmaceutics, Material Science, or related discipline with a minimum of 6 years relevant industry experience; or M.S. degree with greater than 10 years relevant industrial experience.
Required Experience and Skills:
- Capable of leading pre-formulation development activities to establish a formulation in line with the target product profile
- Recognized as a technical expert and scientific contributor with proven ability to identify and develop innovative ideas
- Has broad knowledge of formulation science and in depth-knowledge of multiple dosage forms and routes
- Demonstrated ability to independently design, execute and lead complex experiments and data analysis
- Authors quality technical reports
- Track record of working effectively with team-members of diverse skill sets and backgrounds
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Prior experience in pharmaceutical development, preferably in animal health
- Greater than 5 years of post-graduate experience in pre-formulation
- Capable of mentoring peers
Our Animal Health Division is a trusted global leader in veterinary medicine, dedicated to preserving and improving health, well-being, and performance of animals and the people who care for them. We are a global team of professionals working together to make a positive difference in animal care and the world’s food supply and have a deep sense of responsibility towards our customers, consumers, animals, society, and our planet.
Through our commitment to The Science of Healthier Animals®, we offer veterinarians, farmers, pet owners and governments one of the widest ranges of veterinary pharmaceuticals, vaccines and health management solutions and services as well as an extensive suite of digitally connected identification, traceability and monitoring products. We invest in dynamic and comprehensive R&D resources and a modern, global supply chain. We are present in more than 50 countries, while our products are available in some 150 markets.
Who we are …
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world's most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for …
Imagine getting up in the morning for a job as important as helping to save and improve lives around the world. Here, you have that opportunity. You can put your empathy, creativity, digital mastery, or scientific genius to work in collaboration with a diverse group of colleagues who pursue and bring hope to countless people who are battling some of the most challenging diseases of our time. Our team is constantly evolving, so if you are among the intellectually curious, join us—and start making your impact today.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers' Policy - Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package, but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
Residents of Colorado
Click here to request this role’s pay range.
Current Employees apply HERE
Current Contingent Workers apply HERE
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
Our company is committed to inclusion, ensuring that candidates can engage in a hiring process that exhibits their true capabilities. Please click here if you need an accommodation during the application or hiring process.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
We are proud to be a company that embraces the value of bringing diverse, talented, and committed people together. The fastest way to breakthrough innovation is when diverse ideas come together in an inclusive environment. We encourage our colleagues to respectfully challenge one another’s thinking and approach problems collectively. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:Not Specified
Shift:1st - Day
Valid Driving License:
Number of Openings:1