This job is archived
The Associate Principal Scientist within the our Company's Animal Health Formulation Group is responsible for the development of variety of dosage forms (oral, topical, injectable, implant, etc.) and related processes across all stages of development. The candidate should be a subject matter expert in at least one area of drug delivery, preferably in topical or transdermal. The successful candidate will be a self-motivated, with an outstanding scientific track-record and passion for pharmaceutical product development.
This individual will use innovative approaches to support both early and late stage development candidates including screening, design, and development of formulations defined by robust drug product compositions and processes.
Other responsibilities include statistical experimental design & data analysis, authoring of technical reports, regulatory submissions, and patent applications. Active participation on formulation development teams while interfacing with other functional areas (e.g. project management, manufacturing, quality, regulatory affairs) and external partners to drive project milestones will be required.
The candidate should have strong communication skills, good interpersonal and collaboration skills, an ability to multitask and a strong desire to learn and contribute.
- Lead development of new, innovative approaches for product development, generation of experimental designs, execution of experimental plans and data analysis
- Collaborates effectively within and across functional areas and is a recognized subject matter expert in at least one area of drug delivery and/or drug product manufacturing technology, preferably in the topical/transdermal drug delivery.
- The desired individual is someone who will bring knowledge and creativity to the position as well as have the discipline to drive results
- Can independently execute formulation and process development activities while also helping to coach others in a collaborative environment
- Leads project activities at external manufacturing sites
- Facilitate manufacturing, packaging, and release of clinical supplies for clinical studies, assist in scale up activities at pilot and commercial scale, and summarize results in technical reports and presentations
- Enhance our Company's professional image and competitive advantage through patents, presentations, publications and professional activities and advance areas such as science and technology development, technical and business strategic improvements, business process innovations
- Maintain awareness of relevant new and current technologies, capabilities, and effectively share this knowledge with others
Education Minimum Requirement:
- Ph.D. in Pharmaceutics, Chemical Engineering, Material Science, or related discipline with a minimum of 6 years relevant industry experience; or M.S. degree with greater than 10 years relevant industrial experience.
Required Experience and Skills:
- Capable of leading formulation development activities to define a robust formulation and manufacturing process
- Recognized as a technical expert and scientific contributor with proven ability to identify and develop innovative ideas
- Has broad knowledge of formulation science and in depth-knowledge in multiple areas, including core understanding of the drug development process
- Demonstrated ability to independently design, execute and lead complex experiments and data analysis
- Authors quality technical reports and submission documents such as the Pharmaceutical Development Report
- Track record of working effectively with team-members of diverse skill sets and backgrounds
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Prior experience in pharmaceutical development, preferably in animal health
- Greater than 5 years of post-graduate experience in topical or transdermal research or formulation development
- Capable of technical mentoring of peers
- Recognized as a subject matter expert in at least one drug delivery and/or manufacturing technology
Our Animal Health Division is a trusted global leader in veterinary medicine, dedicated to preserving and improving health, well-being, and performance of animals and the people who care for them. We are a global team of professionals working together to make a positive difference in animal care and the world’s food supply and have a deep sense of responsibility towards our customers, consumers, animals, society, and our planet.
Through our commitment to The Science of Healthier Animals®, we offer veterinarians, farmers, pet owners and governments one of the widest ranges of veterinary pharmaceuticals, vaccines and health management solutions and services as well as an extensive suite of digitally connected identification, traceability and monitoring products. We invest in dynamic and comprehensive R&D resources and a modern, global supply chain. We are present in more than 50 countries, while our products are available in some 150 markets.
Who we are …
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world's most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for …
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers' Policy - Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package, but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
Current Employees apply HERE
Current Contingent Workers apply HERE
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
Our company is committed to inclusion, ensuring that candidates can engage in a hiring process that exhibits their true capabilities. Please click here if you need an accommodation during the application or hiring process.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
We are proud to be a company that embraces the value of bringing diverse, talented, and committed people together. The fastest way to breakthrough innovation is when diverse ideas come together in an inclusive environment. We encourage our colleagues to respectfully challenge one another’s thinking and approach problems collectively. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:
Valid Driving License:
Number of Openings:1