Senior Scientist – Biologicals Development Analytical
Zoetis Veterinary Medicine Research and Development (VMRD), Analytical Sciences Department in Kalamazoo, MI is seeking a biologicals analytical scientist at the Senior Scientist level.
Zoetis is the largest animal health company in the world with an industry-leading research and development team. Zoetis VMRD, Analytical Sciences Department in Kalamazoo, MI is seeking a bioanalytical professional at the Senior Scientist level. This position will require an overall understanding of vaccine and therapeutics research and development for animal disease prevention and treatment. The successful candidate will be responsible for development of bioanalytical reagents and assays using traditional methodologies and innovative approaches to support characterization of biological candidates from Zoetis early discovery through late-stage development pipeline. Fulfillment of the job responsibilities requires the candidate to leverage the latest scientific and technical advancements in biomedical research and think creatively to develop critical biological reagents and novel bioanalytical tools for problem solving and assay development. The incumbent is expected to work closely with supervisors in a collaborative multidisciplinary team environment and to be able to independently lead Zoetis research and development projects.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
* Represent Analytical Sciences at project team meetings and provide analytical support for reagent generation and antigen characterization in support of process development and establishment of analytical methods for potency testing of vaccines.
* Design and conduct laboratory studies including critical assay reagent generation, analytical method development, validation and transfer. Primary techniques are single cell technology, ELISA, western blotting, SDS-Page, capillary gel electrophoresis, bioassays, viral titrations, serological assay, flow cytometry, immunofluorescence and viral inactivation.
* Perform analytical methods necessary for analytical reagent qualification and characterization and release of active biological ingredients and vaccine product.
* Design, set up, and conduct stability and other hypothesis driven studies.
* Evaluate new technologies to determine their applicability to bioanalytical reagent and vaccine assay development.
* Documentation, reporting, and communication of results in electronic laboratory notebooks, technical reports, PowerPoint presentations, and oral presentations.
* Interface with other scientists in a variety of technical disciplines including process development, formulation development, clinical operations, quality control, quality assurance, discovery, and manufacturing.
*Have a basic understanding and utilize the statistical methods employed in immunoassays. Partner with Statistics group to design experiments and report data.
* Assist in the preparation and writing of regulatory filings.
Expertise in animal immunobiology especially in the area of B cells and humoral immune responses Hands on experience in polyclonal or monoclonal antibody generation and antibody-based analytical assay development Good understanding of vaccine references and reference qualification Track record of academic or industrial accomplishments in biological research and analytics (e.g. separation, identification, and quantification of viral and bacterial vaccine antigens) Success in application of molecular and cellular techniques Ability to keep up with scientific and technical advancement in biomedical research and to experiment new technologies
* PhD in immunology, virology, biochemistry, veterinary sciences or animal science or other closely related discipline with approximately 2 years industry experience is preferred; BS/MS with at least 8-10 years hands-on laboratory experience will be considered.
The ideal candidate would possess:
* Experience producing and characterizing immune cells, antibodies, developing antibody-based assays, improving assays and solving analytical problems
* Good oral and written communication skills
* Industrial or academic experience in a laboratory setting, specifically in bacterial or viral characterization.
* Ability to work efficiently in a group setting and individually by organizing and prioritizing work effectivelyFull timeRegularColleagueZoetis is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status or any other protected classification. Disabled individuals are given an equal opportunity to use our online application system. We offer reasonable accommodations as an alternative if requested by an individual with a disability. Please contact Zoetis Colleague Services at [Register to View] to request an accommodation. Zoetis also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must possess or obtain authorization to work in the US for Zoetis. Zoetis retains sole and exclusive discretion to pursue sponsorship for the acquisition or maintenance of nonimmigrant status and employment eligibility, considering factors such as availability of qualified US workers. Individuals requiring sponsorship must disclose this fact. Please note that Zoetis seeks information related to job applications from candidates for jobs in the U.S. solely via the following: (1) our company website at www.Zoetis.com/careers site, or (2) via email to/from addresses using only the Zoetis domain of [Register to View] In addition, Zoetis does not use Google Hangout for any recruitment related activities. Any solicitation or request for information related to job applications with Zoetis via any other means and/or utilizing email addresses with any other domain should be disregarded. In addition, Zoetis will never ask candidates to make any type of personal financial investment related to gaining employment with Zoetis.