This job is archived
Our Animal Health Research Laboratories team work tirelessly to invent solutions to improve the health and wellbeing of animals. Our state-of-the-art research facilities create an environment of innovation that enable us to create breakthrough science changing the way we approach animal health challenges.
- The Senior Scientist will be engaged in complex research activities within our company's Animal Health division in support of licensure of vaccines for use in swine. This position will assist with project planning, study execution and reporting, and be involved with the daily work direction of lower level Laboratory Technicians. Activities will require close collaboration with Supervisor, other Scientists, and Research management.
- The Senior Scientist will conduct assigned research work, including the preparation of draft protocols, execution of laboratory work, coordination of animal study activities, data analysis, and report preparation. Lab activities are conducted according to company and departmental procedures. Laboratory work involves standard microbiological procedures including aseptic technique, cell culture, propagation and titration of viruses and bacteria and optimization of tissue culture methods. Further activities involve assistance in the development, optimization and validation of potency tests and other assays, including ELISA, HPLC and flow cytometry, optimization of vaccine formulations and freeze-dry processes.
- Assist in transfer of technology and discussion/communication at team meetings.
- Train Laboratory Technicians on laboratory work and assist in monitoring their assigned work to maintain good quality and compliance with policies and procedures.
- Manage own activities as they relate to team projects, and develop timelines for portions of team’s projects to meet established goals and timelines. Fulfill general tasks within the organization related to lab maintenance, safety and equipment initiatives, etc.
- Serve as Study Investigator on projects in support of vaccine licensure. Write routine study protocols. Assist in the creation of study designs to achieve valid results. Assist in writing more complex laboratory and animal study protocols. Write study reports for routine work with limited supervision.
- Perform literature searches, read scientific journals and apply findings to improve current work.
Education Minimum Requirement:
M.S. degree in Microbiology or a related field with at least 5 years of relevant work experience, or Ph.D. in Virology, Microbiology or related field
Required Experience and Skills**:
- Experience conducting research project activities and planning of timelines with minimal supervision
- Experience teaching laboratory coursework or training laboratory technicians
- Experience with assay development
- Strong computer skills including knowledge of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Experience working with swine or livestock animals
- Experience in vaccine development research or related field
- Experience working with technical and analytical equipment- Experience with data management and analysis
- Knowledge of Good Laboratory Practices and Good Clinical Practices
Our Animal Health Division is a trusted global leader in veterinary medicine, dedicated to preserving and improving health, well-being, and performance of animals and the people who care for them. We are a global team of professionals working together to make a positive difference in animal care and the world’s food supply and have a deep sense of responsibility towards our customers, consumers, animals, society, and our planet.
Through our commitment to The Science of Healthier Animals®, we offer veterinarians, farmers, pet owners and governments one of the widest ranges of veterinary pharmaceuticals, vaccines and health management solutions and services as well as an extensive suite of digitally connected identification, traceability and monitoring products. We invest in dynamic and comprehensive R&D resources and a modern, global supply chain. We are present in more than 50 countries, while our products are available in some 150 markets.
Who we are …
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world's most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for …
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.
Invent. Impact. Inspire.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers' Policy - Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package, but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
Current Employees apply HERE
Current Contingent Workers apply HERE
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
Our company is committed to inclusion, ensuring that candidates can engage in a hiring process that exhibits their true capabilities. Please click here if you need an accommodation during the application or hiring process.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
We are proud to be a company that embraces the value of bringing diverse, talented, and committed people together. The fastest way to breakthrough innovation is when diverse ideas come together in an inclusive environment. We encourage our colleagues to respectfully challenge one another’s thinking and approach problems collectively. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:Not Specified
Valid Driving License:Yes
Hazardous Material(s):Common Lab Chemicals
Number of Openings:1