This job is archived
Global Therapeutics is seeking a talented post-doctoral biologist/pharmacologist/neuroscientist with expertise in pain and inflammation research to contribute to our companion animal pain projects at Zoetis. This position will focus on 1) developing and executing research strategies that contribute toward the understanding of pathways involved in pain and inflammation (e.g., inflammatory induced hyperalgesia) in companion animal species (cats, dogs, horses), and 2) establishing in vitro and ex vivo pain and inflammation models for research of analgesic mechanisms.
The successful candidate should have experience in conducting hypothesis-based research in both in vitro and ex vivo models. Experience with developing phenotypic screens (co-cultures, 3D organotypic cultures, or high content assessments in cells, etc.) and biomarkers (e.g., cytokines) that can aid in monitoring compound effects in vivo or effects on disease states are also desirable. Excellent communication, organizational and interpersonal skills are essential.
• Ability to conduct hypothesis-based research in partnership with a principal investigator at Zoetis and/or in collaboration with academia.
•Ability to incorporate insights and investigations from pain disease models and/or field trials in animals with naturally occurring conditions into their research.
- Experience with cell culture techniques and development of in vitro functional assays including cytokine pathway analysis
- Ability to apply a variety of cellular and molecular techniques to develop cellular models of disease for veterinary species, including expertise in molecular biology and transcriptomic techniques such as DNA/RNA isolation, qPCR, western blot and ELISA.
- Experience with primary cell cultures, co-cultures, and/or 3D-organotypic cultures, including research in disease relevant cell systems e.g., synovial fibroblasts, chondrocytes, DRGs
- Experience developing, optimizing and qualifying assays to avoid assay artifacts such as cell-free (e.g. ligand binding assays, biochemical assays), cell-based in vitro screens for substrate evaluation, and biomarker assays that aid in monitoring compound effects in vivo or effects on disease states.
- Experience using immunohistochemistry, in situ hybridization or high content imaging of tissues derived from disease models to evaluate therapeutic effects.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Educational background: PhD (cell biology, pharmacology, neuroscience, immunology, pathology or related field).
- Experience in the establishment of in vitro models of disease, in vitro screens, and biomarker assays.
- Self-starter, able to prioritize work, and work efficiently with minimal supervision
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to design, interpret, and present complex scientific data in a team environment is required
- Computer skills required: Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook
- Work environment: The person filling this position will work predominantly in a laboratory setting. There may be exposure to animal pathogens and chemicals. There may be handling of, and/or exposure to animal tissue and zoonotic organisms