Our Company's Animal Health Research Laboratories team work tirelessly to invent solutions to improve the health and well being of animals. Our state-of-the-art research facilities create an environment of innovation that enable us to create breakthrough science changing the way we approach animal health challenges.
We are a global, research-driven company that develops, manufactures, and markets a broad range of veterinary medicines and services, is seeking Analytical Development Scientists for our R&D facility in New Jersey. This Senior Scientist will support the progression of molecules from discovery throughout the development process, transforming drug candidates into marketed products for Animal Health, a company whose products enable pets and people to enjoy their time together and help keep livestock healthy to ensure a safe, sustainable, and high-quality food supply.
The professional in this position will:
- Support the analytical development of high priority drug candidates.
- Work in a team environment on multiple, concurrent projects and experiments of moderate complexity.
- Execute studies to characterize key physical and chemical properties of active pharmaceutical ingredients, excipients, and formulated drug products (e.g., tablets, solutions, implants).
- Maintain high-quality documentation, independently analyze and interpret data, and prepare technical reports and external publications (as appropriate).
- Work as part of a team to develop, characterize, and apply new analytical methods, generating data to guide product development and secure successful commercialization of new veterinary medicinal products.
- Use non-routine approaches to solve challenging technical problems related to purity, stability, packaging, and manufacturing. Techniques often used by persons in these positions include separation techniques (e.g., HPLC, GC, TLC), in-vitro dissolution, general/wet chemical methods, physical characterizations (e.g., particle size analysis, SEM and light microscopy), spectroscopy (e.g., UV/Vis and FTIR) and thermal methods (e.g., DSC, TGA).
- Opportunities are available for candidates with intermediate to advanced levels of experience.
- The candidate will have demonstrated good laboratory skills and a solid understanding of analytical and physical chemistry.
- This position requires the ability to work well in a highly collaborative environment as well as excellent oral and written communication skills.
With the direction of management, the Senior Scientist participates in project teams and collaborates with key partner groups in the successful and efficient execution of project and department goals. Moreover, this individual will help develop junior staff and embrace cultural change to support and realize the strategic vision of the organization.
Education Minimum Requirement:
- Masters degree or Ph.D in Chemsitry, Pharmacy or other scientific discipline
Required Experience and Skills**:
- Minimum 3-5 years previous pharmaceutical experience for masters candidate - Ph.D candidates can be entry level.
- Qualified candidates must have strong technical skills and a demonstrated track record of successfully contributing to the development of pharmaceutical raw materials/actives and/or drug products for animal or human health.
- Experience should include high proficiency in analytical laboratory techniques.
- Ability to work under the general direction of a laboratory supervisor is required.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
The ideal candidate will have a personal drive for results and a demonstrated history of achievement in pharmaceutical research & development.
- The candidate should have strong oral and written communication skills, including experience authoring technical documents.
- An ability to multitask is important in this role.
- Attention to detail, customer focus, and continuous improvement are also important to this role.
Our Animal Health Division is a trusted global leader in veterinary medicine, dedicated to preserving and improving health, well-being, and performance of animals and the people who care for them. We are a global team of professionals working together to make a positive difference in animal care and the world’s food supply and have a deep sense of responsibility towards our customers, consumers, animals, society, and our planet.
Through our commitment to The Science of Healthier Animals®, we offer veterinarians, farmers, pet owners and governments one of the widest ranges of veterinary pharmaceuticals, vaccines and health management solutions and services as well as an extensive suite of digitally connected identification, traceability and monitoring products. We invest in dynamic and comprehensive R&D resources and a modern, global supply chain. We are present in more than 50 countries, while our products are available in some 150 markets.
Who we are …
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world's most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for …
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.
Invent. Impact. Inspire.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers' Policy - Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package, but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
Current Employees apply HERE
Current Contingent Workers apply HERE
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
Our company is committed to inclusion, ensuring that candidates can engage in a hiring process that exhibits their true capabilities. Please click here if you need an accommodation during the application or hiring process.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
We are proud to be a company that embraces the value of bringing diverse, talented, and committed people together. The fastest way to breakthrough innovation is when diverse ideas come together in an inclusive environment. We encourage our colleagues to respectfully challenge one another’s thinking and approach problems collectively. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:Not Specified
Valid Driving License:No
Number of Openings:1