Zoetis Veterinary Medicine Research and Development (VMRD) seeks an enthusiastic colleague for a challenging and fast-paced position in research and development of veterinary medicines in Kalamazoo, Michigan. As an integral member of research and development project teams, the candidate will design and implement studies to understand the absorption, distribution, metabolism, and elimination of veterinary pharmaceuticals in food producing animals with the goal of demonstrating the safety of food products in humans. The candidate will collaborate extensively with bioanalytical, target animal safety, toxicology, pharmacokinetics, environmental, clinical, and regulatory scientists as part of a multidisciplinary team.
- Developing study designs and protocols for in vitro and in vivo studies.
- Developing and validating robust analytical methods to quantify residues of veterinary pharmaceuticals and biotherapeutics in blood/plasma, tissues, excreta, and other matrices at the low ng/g to pg/g level.
- Collaborating with other VMRD analytical groups and partners to provide high quality and seamless support for projects.
- Serving as Study Director, Principal Investigator, or Contributing Scientist in GLP studies.
- Conducting or monitoring internal studies or studies conducted at Contract Research Organizations.
- Writing or contributing to study reports and regulatory submissions.
- Rapid response to regulatory, manufacturing, and product support queries globally.
- Opportunity to participate in industry working groups in the future.
- Occasional domestic or international travel: usually ~5% annually depending upon nature and stage of project.
Minimum skills, education, attributes:
- BS, MS, or PhD/DVM in chemistry, biochemistry, biology, pharmacy/pharmaceutics, or a related field.
- PhD, DVM, or Pharm D (post-graduate experience strongly preferred) or BS/MS with at least 10 years of experience in the veterinary or human pharmaceutical or agricultural/food industry.
- Experience developing and validating de novo analytical methods for new chemical entities in biomatrices by UHPLC-MS/MS, HPLC-UV/FL, radiometric, and other methods.
- Experience in sample collection and preparation methodologies for biomatrices.
- Demonstrated skills in scientific writing (protocols, reports, journal articles).
- Excellent organizational and communication abilities (verbal and written English).
- Ability to work in a collaborative and dynamic team environment in a global company.
- Other attributes/competencies: passion for problem solving, judgment, perseverance, planning, adaptability.
Desirable skills, education, attributes:
- Working a regulated environment (e.g., GLP).
- Working with radioisotopes (14C, 3H)
- Metabolite profiling and/or structure elucidation of metabolites by NMR, mass spectrometry, etc.
- In vitro metabolism or in vivo ADME studies.
- Analysis of biotherapeutics (monoclonal antibodies, endogenous or recombinant proteins) in biological matrices.
- E-notebooks (e.g., IDBS Biobook), LIMS (e.g., WATSON), laboratory automation and liquid-handling systems (e.g., Hamilton MICROLAB STAR).
- Familiar with regulatory requirements (VICH/ICH, FDA/CVM, OECD) for human or veterinary pharmaceuticals.