Main purpose of job:
This position is responsible for advancing sensory and consumer science capabilities for pet food, treats and litter categories. Successful candidate will lead the effective design, execution and analysis of sensory and consumer evaluation methods in support of Nestle Purina PetCare’s innovation and renovation projects in the R&D environment. Working in collaboration with cross-functional teams and global business stakeholders, this position will create actionable conclusions and persuasive recommendations to guide product development based on how the human senses modulate consumer perception of our products.
- Engage client base to advise and provide sensory and consumer product insight for product categories assigned.
- Manage all aspects of sensory descriptive panels at the site including, but not limited to, test plan design and execution, data reporting, presentation and repository coordination, global sensory/consumer glossary management and harmonization, reference management, basic and product specific training, panel assessment and performance feedback
- Coordinate test execution with external research vendors as appropriate (contract management, screener, questionnaire, test plan, product preparation protocols, etc.
- Conduct data analysis and interpretation in context of historical organizational knowledge
- Effectively lead utilization of community-based consumer panel and create recommendations to expand departmental consumer understanding capabilities.
- Evaluate and apply new and existing sensory and consumer research methods to provide custom solutions to specific product development concerns.
- Support initiatives to enhance capabilities and efficiencies of the sensory function within R&D
- Establish cross-functional partnerships with Product Development, Quality, Marketing, Strategic Business Units and Innovation functions.
- Actively share best practices throughout the organization
- Contribute to the Nestle Consumer and Sensory Community as appropriate
- Successfully develop and maintain good ways of working with associates, affiliated labs and pilot facilities
- Actively participate in cross training as needed to learn new skills required for sensory and consumer advances and professional development
- Conduct activities in compliance with all required company policies and procedures
- Actively practice safety and good laboratory practices in the workplace
- Continued development of scientific skills
- Additional duties as assigned
Job Qualifications (Education, Experience and Knowledge):
- Master’s degree in Sensory, Statistics, Biostatistics, or Psychology or other related fields from an accredited university
- 2 + years’ experience in a wide range of sensory analysis and consumer product testing methodologies.
- Experience working with large, complex, segmented data sets and to extract, analyze and interpret data to identify meaningful insights
- Strong applied statistics knowledge and experience (multivariate statistics, DoE, statistical modeling)
-Demonstrated ability to lead sensory projects through planning, execution, reporting, and team share out.
Additional qualifications desired:
- Experience in sensory-instrumental methods (e.g. GC-O)
- Ability to speak French a plus
- Experience with EyeQuestion, R, or Python a plus
- Adaptable, flexible work style
- Demonstrated curiosity
- Patience and rigor
- Excellent teamwork, interpersonal and organizational skills
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Strong computer literacy with sensory software experience
- Strong observational skills
- Learning agile
- Strong influencing skills
It is our business imperative to remain a very inclusive workplace.
To our veterans and separated service members, you're at the forefront of our minds as we recruit top talent to join Nestlé Purina. The skills you've gained while serving our country, such as flexibility, agility, and leadership, are much like the skills that will make you successful in this role. We hope you'll consider sharing in our mission--you'll join a cohort of others who have chosen to call Nestlé Purina home.
The Nestlé Companies are equal employment and affirmative action employers and look for diversity in qualified candidates for employment.
Prior to the next step in the recruiting process, we welcome you to inform us confidentially if you may require any special accommodations in order to participate fully in our recruitment experience. Contact us at [Register to View] [Register to View] to notify of us of any needs related to completing the job application.
Job: Scientist - Product Development:Sensory
Primary Location: Saint Louis, MO US
Career Area: Professional
Nestle Purina PetCare Company