This position is responsible for planning, organizing, and performing the necessary work related to the Global Pet
Behavior & Welfare Research program under minimal supervision.
1. Design and execute the necessary experiments to develop solutions and/or knowledge to positively affect pet behavior and wellbeing specifically in the areas of litter and food. Conduct said work by leading and/or supporting R&D projects and complying with business requirements for project management.
2. Utilize non-invasive techniques and methods to measure, analyze and interpret pets’ behavioral, emotional and physiological response to product (litter and food) characteristics.
3. In collaboration with other business departments, develop cat and dog behavior-based products and services.
4. Provide business partners with necessary technical support relative to the discipline of cat elimination behavior.
5. Effectively document and communicate research results and program updates to internal and external audiences through oral presentations and timely, written technical documentation.
6. Write and publish research papers internal and external to Nestlé Purina and present at conferences.
7. Knowledge of and compliance with the Animal Welfare Act and all procedures and protocols in the Nestlé Purina PTC Petcare Manual.
8. Conduct all activity in compliance with Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP), Good Laboratory Practices (GLP) and all required Company policies and procedures.
9. Maintain a safe, clean and sanitary work environment.10.
10. Travel as necessary, domestic and international: 40%, mainly to our facility in St. Joseph MO.
11. Practice safety in the work area
• Keep current in scientific discipline
• Continue development of project leadership skills
• Additional duties as assigned
SUPERVISION GIVEN AND RECEIVED:
• Receives direct supervision from Manager – Global Pet Behavior & Welfare Research
• Indirectly, provides guidance and direction to Petcare technicians for performing behavior studies
• Mentoring and guidance as required for assigned projects
JOB QUALIFICATIONS (Education, Experience, and Knowledge):
• PhD degree in the area of Animal Behavior required preferably combined with a master’s or bachelor’s degree in the area of Veterinary Medicine, Animal Science, Comparative Physiology, Psychology or other related disciplines.
• Strong background in the use of research techniques, statistics and experimental design
• Experience in measuring emotional states in mammals
• Knowledge and experience in using non-invasive behavioral research techniques
• Capturing and measuring animal behavior from observational methods
• Ability to work directly with cats and dogs
• Documented and proven ability in writing and publishing research papers
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Fluent in English
• Must be able to manage multiple projects/priorities
• Excellent organizational skills to independently manage workflow
• Proficiency with computer programs (e.g. Excel, PowerPoint, Word)
• Team player
SPECIALIZED KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS PREFERRED BUT NOT REQUIRED:
Job: Scientist - Product Development- Behavior
Primary Location: Saint Louis, MO US
Career Area: Professional
Nestle Purina PetCare Company
• Project management skills
• Teaching experience
• Good sense of business/technical interrelationships
• Demonstrated ability to collaborate with academic partners