This job is archived
A post-doctoral position within Zoetis Global Biologicals will support projects focused on development of veterinary vaccines using molecular techniques. The candidate will exhibit strong evidence of technical proficiency, delivering on goals, and high performance in the VMRD group, specifically working on influenza vaccine development for multiple species. The position will utilize molecular, bioinformatics & genomics tools to create and characterize influenza viruses as vaccine candidates. Additional interactions include application of gene editing technology to introduce attenuation phenotypes or modify cell lines for improved virus yields or other desirable properties for manufacturing.
Post-Doctoral Job Duties:
The successful candidate will interact with molecular virologists, genetics and diagnostics groups, and utilize, molecular, gene editing, bioinformatic & genomic tools to develop new influenza vaccine candidates. Candidate will create and use molecular genetic tools such as reverse genetics to modify viruses for characterization and evaluation as vaccine candidates. As part of a highly focused influenza research program, candidate will apply core and novel molecular techniques including but not limited to: reverse genetics, cell engineering (CRISPR), NGS technology, DNA recombination, plasmid cloning and transfection in order to modify and characterize viruses, insect and eukaryotic cell lines. Candidate will be expected to act as a resource in applying technical and scientific knowledge in collaborations with other scientists within the R&D group. Candidate will consistently exhibit a rational approach to problem solving, good laboratory safety awareness and notebook documentation, and regularly use the scientific literature to critically assess and enhance understanding of animal diseases and technologies to generate novel methods and testable hypotheses for new product ideas. Self-motivation, excellent problem solving and communication skills, and an enthusiasm for discovering veterinary medicines is essential.
Minimum skills, education, experience, attributes:
- PhD in virology or molecular biology or related field, with 1-5 years of laboratory experience
- Experience in influenza virus research and reverse genetics with hands-on ability for tissue culture propagation, manipulation and enumeration of viruses in cell culture.
- Must be able to independently utilize reverse genetics system, conduct molecular gene cloning, (plasmid design, gene deletions, trans-gene expression) and carry out DNA/RNA preparation, PCR, RT-PCR, and Western blotting for characterization of novel constructs.
- Understanding of the principles and concepts associated with own subject/specialist area and an appreciation of the relevant science and literature.
- Problem-solving skills related to data analysis and a broadly inquisitive mind with interest to improve the lives of animals
- Must have strong command of laboratory aseptic techniques, cell (tissue) and bacterial culture with competency in experimental design
- Computer skills: Microsoft (word, excel, power point, outlook, project), and DNA software (Lasergene or similar).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, ability to design, interpret, and present complex scientific data in a team environment is required.
- Strong collaborative and partner group interfacing skills to facilitate project progression through key technical milestones while demonstrating independence; self-motivation; initiative; and a commitment to the successful development of animal vaccines.
• Understanding of range of disciplines within R&D and the product development process
• Experience in the pharmaceutical or biotech industry
The role is laboratory based in Kalamazoo, MIFull timeFixed Term/Temporary (Fixed Term)ColleagueZoetis is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status or any other protected classification. Disabled individuals are given an equal opportunity to use our online application system. We offer reasonable accommodations as an alternative if requested by an individual with a disability. Please contact Zoetis Colleague Services at [Register to View] to request an accommodation. Zoetis also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must possess or obtain authorization to work in the US for Zoetis. Zoetis retains sole and exclusive discretion to pursue sponsorship for the acquisition or maintenance of nonimmigrant status and employment eligibility, considering factors such as availability of qualified US workers. Individuals requiring sponsorship must disclose this fact. Please note that Zoetis seeks information related to job applications from candidates for jobs in the U.S. solely via the following: (1) our company website at www.Zoetis.com/careers site, or (2) via email to/from addresses using only the Zoetis domain of [Register to View] In addition, Zoetis does not use Google Hangout for any recruitment related activities. Any solicitation or request for information related to job applications with Zoetis via any other means and/or utilizing email addresses with any other domain should be disregarded. In addition, Zoetis will never ask candidates to make any type of personal financial investment related to gaining employment with Zoetis.