The VMRD Global Diagnostics Team is seeking to fill a Scientist position at our Kalamazoo site. We are in need of a molecular biologist with core expertise and experience in molecular diagnostics, immunodiagnostics, assay design, product development, and platform integration.
Their key duties and responsibilities will be to:
- Design, develop, validate, and launch assays for veterinary diagnostic use; including molecular assays, immunoassays, and high-sensitivity immunoassays
- Integrate these assays into diagnostic platforms meant for use at the Point of Care and in reference labs
- Design and execute bench level experiments, analyze and interpret data, and be able to clearly communicate the results of that work
- Work in a team environment and operate cooperatively to creatively overcome challenges and technical hurdles while adhering to the project plan timelines and deliverable
Key Qualifications and Requirements
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in an applicable field (Biology, Microbiology, Veterinary Science, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, etc) with 5-7 years of experience in industrial product development.
- Masters or PhD in an applicable field with 5 years of experience in industrial product development.
- Experience in designing and developing diagnostic assays is highly preferred. Experience in delivering products to the market, showing a knowledge of stage gate processes, cross-team alignment and execution, and product development methodology.
- Experience in animal and veterinary health is preferred.
- Deep knowledge of designing and developing molecular assays (qPCR, isothermal PCR, arrays, etc.) and immunoassays (ELISA, LFAs, HSIA, etc.) for use by customers and the field.
- Deep knowledge and experience in integrating assay content onto instrumentation.
- Expert in laboratory techniques, with deep experience in Design of Experiments and data reporting.
- Strong familiarity with Design for Manufacturing and manufacturing transfer activities
- Participation in at least one assay/instrument development project through the entire product life cycle
- Familiarity with USDA regulatory requirements for licensure of diagnostic test kits preferred.
- Demonstrated commitment to a high level of work quality and operating effectively in a team environment
- Strong written and oral communicator; experience in writing scientific study protocols and reports, project proposals, communications and technical summaries to leadership, patent support, and technical documents for marketing and product launch support.
- Familiarity with JMP and e-lab books preferred.
- Act as a technical resource and SME within the project teams.
- Coordinate and plan work as a team, but conduct work independently.
- Show pro-activeness and creativity in generating desired outcomes through efficient and results-driven experimental design.
- Ability to develop and use novel techniques for troubleshooting and optimization.
- Readily recognize unmet technical needs and gaps, and proactively seek to address them.
- Improve and optimize current processes and methods.
- Exhibit a high level of responsibility for delivery of technical goals, milestones, and deliverable.
- Excellent oral communicator and writer; must be able to convey complex scientific concepts clearly and concisely for a diverse audience on a regular basis.
- Experience in authoring/contributing to publications preferred.