The Principal Engineer, Product Line Manager is responsible for design enhancement and implementation of Bio-Devices for the animal health industry. This position is responsible for cross functional development and implementation of electro-mechanical systems, electrical and electronic subassemblies, and overall Bio Device design implementation for automated vaccination equipment in the bio-devices engineering group. The role will participate in concept development of new commercial products and the support of existing Devs. The Engineer is expected to work independently and at times lead entire Bio-Device development efforts, in close collaboration with cross functional teams, including Design Engineers, Reliability Engineers, Quality Representatives, Manufacturing, Purchasing, and Suppliers, under the direction of Engineering Management and Project Management. The person in this position will often coordinate/influence the design efforts of other engineers and designers during a project, although no specific supervisory responsibilities are attached to the job. Enable teams to successfully meet company objectives including design requirements, quality, schedule an cost targets.
The role owns primary design responsibility once Alpha phase prototypes successfully meet Product requirements. From Beta, the Engineer is responsible for scaling the product for launch and ensuring issues found during validation testing are resolved, successfully guiding the operations team for manufacturing readiness, managing supplier readiness for supplied parts, initial install/implementation oversight in customer facilities, and Product support (issue resolution) after launch.
The position has a wide- and far-reaching variety of responsibilities, including:
· Lead the management of engineering projects through technical and organizational facilitation of team efforts in solving complex problems by applying a broad multi-disciplinary knowledge
· Provide engineering project management leadership for multiple product development/or technology development projects, from design concepts to full manufacturing introduction
· A guiding role in the conceptual development process, to ensure that designs can be implemented into a producible/viable product.
· Specific experience in electrical, electronic, printed circuit board, and electric motor required.
· Design and development of all electro-mechanical, pneumatic, fluidic systems, while understanding the interface to electrical control systems and underlying biological process needs.
· Participate in system engineering for complex electromechanical systems to define product specifications and controls interactions of each system.
· Oversee drawing development change process, drawing dimensioning and review skills to ensure documentation accuracy for product part control.
· Proposal and cost preparation, sub-system architecture, requirements development, concept design, modeling/simulation, detailed mechanical design, integration, validation and verification as well as integration into hatchery systems.
· Coordinate problem solving and technical support, including design updates of equipment, process development and related documentation.
· Analyze various manufacturing issues and resolve them in a timely manner.
· Extensive interaction with suppliers in design, analysis and other technical liaison requirements.
· Oversee design and build of prototypes by contract firms to insure product meets specifications, timelines and budget.
· Responsible for the implementation of plans for new product launches in conjunction with sales, marketing, quality, manufacturing and purchasing
· Actively leads cost reduction initiatives and minimization of waste.
· Initiates justification and implementation of new components and technology
· As required, produce detailed drawings, BOM’s and release documents for the above design activities.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
· B.S. in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or Bio-Medical Engineering with a minimum of 15 years demonstrated product engineering/development of devices in a complex engineering environment.
· 15 years’ experience working with Design and Implementation teams, Operations (Manu., Qual., Metrology) and suppliers from an engineering, technical perspective
· Management experience, preferred
TECHNICAL SKILLS REQUIREMENTS
· Project Management Professional (PMP) certification preferred
· Demonstrated experience leading cross functional project teams in a matrix environment and using a stage gate product life cycle management process
· Electrical, Electronic, Sensors, Motor (DC and stepper) Operation, and PCB’s.
· Pneumatics, electro-mechanical, and actuation understanding and experience.
· Root cause analysis techniques and documentation.
· Demonstrated proficiency in engineering specifications and design for automated equipment.
· Knowledge of materials and manufacturing/construction principles.
· Demonstrated experience with Solid Works, CAD, drawing storage/control, SAP, and other .
· Demonstrated proficiency with modern engineering tools, such as 3d printing, rapid prototyping, etc.
· Demonstrated experience in critical thinking and problem-solving skills, planning and organizing, decision-making
· Excellent communication skills, influencing and leading, facilitation and team work capabilities.
PHYSICAL POSITION REQUIREMENTS
Candidate will work mostly at the Durham site either in an office environment or a development lab environment. Some travel to customer facilities is occasionally required.Full timeRegularColleagueZoetis is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status or any other protected classification. Disabled individuals are given an equal opportunity to use our online application system. We offer reasonable accommodations as an alternative if requested by an individual with a disability. Please contact Zoetis Colleague Services at [Register to View] to request an accommodation. Zoetis also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must possess or obtain authorization to work in the US for Zoetis. Zoetis retains sole and exclusive discretion to pursue sponsorship for the acquisition or maintenance of nonimmigrant status and employment eligibility, considering factors such as availability of qualified US workers. Individuals requiring sponsorship must disclose this fact. Please note that Zoetis seeks information related to job applications from candidates for jobs in the U.S. solely via the following: (1) our company website at www.Zoetis.com/careers site, or (2) via email to/from addresses using only the Zoetis domain of [Register to View] In addition, Zoetis does not use Google Hangout for any recruitment related activities. Any solicitation or request for information related to job applications with Zoetis via any other means and/or utilizing email addresses with any other domain should be disregarded. In addition, Zoetis will never ask candidates to make any type of personal financial investment related to gaining employment with Zoetis.