The Senior Electrical Product Engineer (Sr. PE) will work as a member of the research and development team in the design, development, testing and integration of electro-mechanical, thermal and optical sub-systems into new, innovative diagnostic products. The Sr. PE will apply best practice development strategy and advanced technical concepts to solve complex problems, distilling them down to effective product offerings which strike the balance of functionality and usability. The Sr. PE will be guided by a thorough stage gate development process and be expected to resolve complex technical challenges that arise during product development. The Sr. PE will work with a global team within the Veterinary Medicine Research and Development (VMRD) organization, in close collaboration with cross functional teams, including Design Engineers, Assay Scientists, Quality Representatives, Manufacturing, Purchasing, and Suppliers, under the direction of VMRD leadership. The person in this position will often coordinate/influence the design efforts of other engineers and developers during a project, although no specific supervisory responsibilities are attached to the job.
The Sr. PE owns primary design responsibility once functional prototypes have successfully met product design verification requirements. During the early design phases the Sr. PE assists the design team, influencing the design for producibility. The Sr. PE is responsible for ensuring product performance is met while scaling the product for launch, successfully guiding the operations team for manufacturing readiness, managing supplier readiness for supplied parts, initial install/implementation oversight in customer facilities, and subject matter expert product support (issue resolution) after launch.
The Senior Electrical Product Engineer (Sr PE) has a wide and far reaching variety of responsibilities, including:
· Guiding role in the conceptual development process, to ensure that designs can be implemented into a producible/viable product.
· Technical leadership role in releasing designs into the supply base, manufacturing process, and customer environments; New Product Implementation(NPI).
· Will resolve design issues discovered in functional prototype testing and finalize design for manufacturability (internal and supply base) without compromising product performance.
· Will resolve technical issues arising from Prototype & First Article submittals, Verification and Validation testing, and any technical issues which arise in the commercial environment.
· Finalize/optimize design of components, including system level solutions and circuit level component/board designs.
· Work with Global Manufacturing Services to consider high volume assembly process in design concepts (Design for Manufacurability.)
· Finalize/optimize design and development of all electro-mechanical, controls, and circuits required by product requirements, while understanding the interface to electrical control systems and underlying biological process needs.
· Participate in developing product specifications, DFMEA, PFMEA, validation test plans, and risk assessments for reporting of product development status/metrics and updating at subsequent phases.
· Develop and implement electrical and system concept design, perform sensitivity analysis, timing analysis, circuit analysis or other design analysis.
· Assessment of system level risks, and proposing, evaluating and implementing mitigations.
· Ensure designs meet and exceed product specifications, regulatory requirements, and international standards.
· Proficient in communicating complex technical situations in an understandable way.
· Collaborate to develop electro-mechanical, fluidic, and thermal management systems while understanding the interface to electrical control systems and underlying biological process needs.
· Oversee drawing development change process, drawing dimensioning and review skills to ensure documentation accuracy for proper part control.
· Prepare/oversee all stage gate technical documentation from Beta – First Production.
· Provide engineering leadership for multiple projects, including new products from design concept to full manufacturing introduction.
· Coordinate and resolve issues using problem solving techniques/best practices, including design updates, supplier technical issue resolution, process development/improvement and related documentation.
· Extensive interaction with suppliers in design, analysis and other technical liaison requirements.
· Actively leads cost reduction initiatives and minimization of waste.
· As required, produce detailed drawings, BOM’s and release documents for the above design activities.
· Creation, Review and oversight of product data; drawings, documentation, and issue resolution.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
· B.S. in Electrical Engineering (PE or MSME preferred) or a minimum of 10 years demonstrated product engineering experience in a complex engineered product environment. Quality Management System understanding a must.
· 10 years’ experience working with Design and Implementation teams, Operations (Manu., Qual., Metrology) and suppliers from an engineering, technical perspective
TECHNICAL SKILLS REQUIREMENTS
· SAP understanding, Engineering Change Management in PLM environment.
· Design understanding for PCBA manufacturability and quality control.
· Understanding of FPGA and CPL designs including using Soft Core Processors, Logic synthesis using Verilog and VHDL, and simulation of the design.
· Demonstrated experience with schematic capture and PCB layout tools for complex circuit board designs (Allegro, Altium, OrCAD, PSpice, etc.)
· Demonstrated understanding of embedded software development and able to determine which parts of the system is best suited for the Hardware, FPGA, or the Software.
· Prior experience with the use of several serial communication systems such as SPI, I2C, CAN Bus, RS232, RS485, Ethernet and USB.
· Prior experience with motion control designs for motorized systems (Electrical, Electronic, Sensors, Motor (DC and Brushless) Operation).
· Prior experience with control loop systems for the control of heating and cooling circuits.
· Demonstrated experience with drawing storage/control, EPDM, PLM, SAP, etc.
· Demonstrated proficiency in creating engineering specifications and technical requirements.
· Demonstrated experience in critical thinking and problem solving skills, planning and organizing, decision-making
· Root cause analysis techniques and documentation.
· Design for Six Sigma (DFSS) or Design, Reliability & Manufacturability (DRM)
· Excellent communication skills, influencing and leading, facilitation and team work capabilities.
· Prior experience in a regulated industry such as healthcare, laboratory diagnostics, medical devices, or pharmaceutical companies desirable
PHYSICAL POSITION REQUIREMENTS
Candidate will work mostly at the Durham site either in an office environment or a development lab environment. Some domestic and international travel is occasionally required.Full timeRegularColleagueZoetis is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status or any other protected classification. Disabled individuals are given an equal opportunity to use our online application system. We offer reasonable accommodations as an alternative if requested by an individual with a disability. Please contact Zoetis Colleague Services at [Register to View] to request an accommodation. Zoetis also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must possess or obtain authorization to work in the US for Zoetis. Zoetis retains sole and exclusive discretion to pursue sponsorship for the acquisition or maintenance of nonimmigrant status and employment eligibility, considering factors such as availability of qualified US workers. Individuals requiring sponsorship must disclose this fact. Please note that Zoetis seeks information related to job applications from candidates for jobs in the U.S. solely via the following: (1) our company website at www.Zoetis.com/careers site, or (2) via email to/from addresses using only the Zoetis domain of [Register to View] In addition, Zoetis does not use Google Hangout for any recruitment related activities. Any solicitation or request for information related to job applications with Zoetis via any other means and/or utilizing email addresses with any other domain should be disregarded. In addition, Zoetis will never ask candidates to make any type of personal financial investment related to gaining employment with Zoetis.