This job is archived
Location: U.S. Fully Remote
The Head of Clinical Operations is responsible for ensuring that all samples delivered to Zoetis Reference Lab (ZRL) locations are run accurately and efficiently and that results are delivered to our customers as planned. He/she will achieve operational goals including productivity, quality, cost, delivery, safety and colleague engagement requirements while maintaining strict adherence to the appropriate quality metrics. In addition, he/she will ensure the proper operational controls, metrics, procedures, and personnel are in place to effectively grow the organization for financial and operational efficiencies.
Key performance attributes for Head of Clinical Operations position include:
Ability to manage change:
Visibly supports innovative discussion and frequently incorporates new ideas into the team's work. Helps the team cope with unanticipated change and reordering of priorities and plans. Is effective in scanning for and anticipating most changes. Clearly identifies and communicates reasons for, and implications of, change. Determines barriers to planned change in own group and acts to address them.
Proven problem-solving skills:
Able to personally adapt and successfully adjust personal and departmental work priorities in response to a wide variety of complex business and people situations. Maintains effectiveness in ambiguous situations. Successfully resolves complex colleague and organizational HR issues.
Expertise at developing people:
Creates conditions and processes to support growth for all members and overall team. Recognizes high performance and coaches non-, or under-performers. Insightful about individual development and team process. Regularly focuses team attention on its' functioning/overall effectiveness. Provides timely, specific formal and informal feedback and support to help employees improve and/or obtain the capabilities necessary to improve their personal effectiveness. Identifies individuals with team leader potential and actively coaches them. Creative in finding ways to address development with accomplishment of objectives.
Discretion, Latitude, Level of Independence:
Assignments are often self-initiated. Has high degree of autonomy and freedom to act within assigned area of responsibility and establishing operational agreements across site/functions.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Staff, train, manage, develop and provide leadership to department managers/supervisors in the application of practical operations planning and control techniques toward higher levels of performance while providing an environment that encourages change and teamwork.
- Sets performance objectives for the organization that focuses on short-term, as well as long-term business objectives.
- Reviews staffing requirements, personnel allocations, and organizational structure to not only meet today’s requirements, but those of future growth.
- Initiates capital requirements and ensures on time delivery and cost of the project.
- Understands and educates staff on balancing personnel needs and process improvements with managing budgetary expenses to meet overall financial targets. Develop and implement capacity plan across all teams to assure that sales goals are supported.
- Ensures operational goals are achieved including productivity, quality, cost, delivery, safety and morale requirements
- Evaluate and implement meaningful metrics across the organization, as well in other cross-functions that impact the Clinical Operations team.
- Ability to create cost models for projects that clearly reflect return on in investment and financial impact for cost improvement projects.
- Ensure strict adherence to EHS regulations.
- Assess efficacy of processes, align with standard operating procedures and apply enhancements.
- Continuously evaluates performance through metric reviews and adjusts as required to meet goals.
- Other duties as assigned
- Extensive experience as a leader in an operational environment. Experience in laboratory environment preferred.
- In depth knowledge of diverse business functions/processes such as Supply Chain, Quality, Finance and Customer Service.
- Proven track record of building successful teams and facilitating progressive organizational change for in a growing company.
- Demonstrated performance of consistently achieving and exceeding financial goals.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment through utilization of exceptional organizational skills, the aptitude to multi-task and balance complex priorities.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Demonstrated ability to lead people, manage internal/external customer satisfaction and get results through others.
- Extensive experience in Lean, SPC, Six Sigma manufacturing technique and process improvement.
- Thorough knowledge of finance as it relates to budgeting including monitoring and controlling quarterly annual expense budgets, as well as operational absorption for both labor and materials.
- Understands and mitigates financial risks to the top and bottom line of P&L through cross-functional collaboration.
- Excellent analytical, project management and problem-solving skills.
Education and Experience
- BS/BA degree in Business, Engineering, or related field with 10+ years production management, preferably in the lab diagnostics industry.