This job is archived
The US Cattle Business Unit is one of the largest businesses within Zoetis’ worldwide operations. We focus on maximizing the value of our broad veterinary and producer solutions portfolio by building and sustaining relevant partnerships with veterinarians and producer owners. Based on our business model and operating environment we bring more than just medicines, services, and expertise to the marketplace; we deploy a range of targeted activities to support our solutions offerings in meeting the needs of our customers. The Dairy Production Specialist position is a specialized role that is primarily aligned to our largest dairy producer customers. The position requires the individual to have a high degree of experience and insights regarding reproduction, genetics, transition cow management and calving production practices. In order to be effective in the role, the individual must have in-depth product expertise, an advanced financial understanding of the key health traits and their impact on dairy profitability. The position will require an in-depth technical understanding of genetics and the impact it has on milk production, milk components, reproduction and herd health. The position will require an in-depth working knowledge of dairy records systems and dairy data. The position will require the individual to work as part of an account team; so communication, collaboration and teamwork are essential skills for the role.
- Primarily calling on dairy producers and their corresponding consultants – (veterinarians, nutritionists and the supporting influencers)
- Ability to diagnose inefficiencies in process, people and protocols that cause suboptimal performance on key dairy production practices; from Transition Cow Risk Assessments, reproduction, calf and heifer raising practices to genetics.
- Ability to work in a cross-functional team-based environment, align with and influence internal and external stakeholders, and build/manage relationships at all levels of an organization.
- Exhibit extensive knowledge of dairy production system and effectively communicate how our products, services and technical expertise can impact productivity and efficiency of the dairy enterprise. This position will have an emphasis on reproduction, genetics and transition cows assessments.
- Communication/Presentation skills to effectively deliver training and sales presentations to farm labor, farm management, farm ownership and all related influencers
- In-depth financial, industry and business acumen
- Understand key industry trends so that you can effectively communicate relevant insights to the customer that create value for their business.
- Exemplifies what it means to be a change agent, continuous learner, and pushing self and others beyond dominant logic
- Demonstrate Advanced Solution Selling Skills, teach new insights, tailor solutions to individual needs, and take control of the sales process from beginning to end. This inclues implementation of new process that may be required as customers adopt new methods and technologies.
- Perform on-farm Transition Cow Risk Assessment evaluations, genetic evaluations, reproduction evaluations and Calf/Heifer Risk Assessments
- Utilizes knowledge and understanding of proprietary Dairy Wellness Plan Manager and applicable dairy production software to perform highly individualized herd data analysis; and from that to formulate recommendations for change involving Zoetis products & protocols, to measure product performance & production results, and monitor change over time.
- Providing animal health solutions to a broad array of animal health and production issues; specifically applying knowledge and understanding of dairy herd management concepts to make positive change that will bring value to the customer.
- Organizing the array of territory responsibilities, activities, and information to create a territory action plan designed to achieve objectives.
- Working with the account team to conduct regular account profiling to identify customer needs and to assess current and future customer growth opportunities.
- Contributing to team selling efforts by planning call cycle with others to maximize the use of the team’s time and resources and ensuring appropriate account follow-up.
- Effectively leverage and manage resources to achieve business objectives, sales targets, and increased penetration
- Collaboration and have open communication with TBM’s, SAM’s, TS, QMS and ABMs. Use of CRM software, TouchPoint, to generate transparency and record data and call entry.
- Preparing and delivering presentations designed to show customers the state of their herd health, reprodiction and genetics programs and justify the recommendations for change.
- Conduct producer training programs to ensure ongoing compliance with SOPs.
- Building and maintaining relationships with key industry influencers: ie: veterinarian consultants, nutritionists, AI representatives, lenders, extension and university personnel and other allied industry consulting with their aligned dairies.
- The position requires the ability to call on dairy producers, veterinarians and the supporting influencers
- The position also requires the ability to work with internal colleagues effectively as a team – TBM/SAM/QMS/TS/ABM colleagues that share in account responsibilities
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Undergraduate degree (BS/BA) Required
- Masters in animal science, MBA, or equivalent degree is preferred
- DVM or PhD is highly regarded
- 5+ years of related experience including sales, dairy husbandry, dairy milk quality, AI, general dairy management experience is required
- Ability and willingness to travel overnight approximately at least 20% of the time to include some weekends
- Language – Spanish is a plus
TECHNICAL SKILLS REQUIREMENTS
- Dairy husbandry and production experience
- Experience with Dairy Comp, DHI Plus, and BoviSync
- Proficiency in PowerPoint, Excel, and Word applications
PHYSICAL POSITION REQUIREMENTS
- The position will require a valid drivers license
- Willingness to drive to customer locations across defined geography – Producer, Clinic & Processing Facilities
- Requires individual to be able to work on dairy farms
- Requires individual to be willing to work with dairy cows from husbandry, milking and treatment administration/education.