This individual will be responsible for managing the state and local income tax function at Zoetis. Responsibilities will include, and not limited to, state and local income tax provision, state income tax compliance, mergers and acquisitions, state tax integrations, audit defense, process improvements and state tax modeling.
- Work closely with external providers in the preparation and review of state income tax returns;
- Collaborate with cross functional teams to obtain and review data for apportionment calculations;
- Oversee the preparation and / or review of return to provision true-up, estimated tax payments, extensions and income tax returns;
- Assist with the calculation of the quarterly and annual state current and deferred tax provision;
- Assist with the state payable rollforward and proof analysis;
- Assist with the preparation and/or review state income tax modeling in connection the state effective tax rate, planning opportunities, merger and acquisitions and tax reform;
- Monitor state activities for filing responsibilities and nexus exposure;
- Work closely with state tax authorities to defend filing positions and close audits;
- Collaborate and interface with the tax team to provide technical updates on state specific tax issues and pending legislation;
- Research tax issues and draft technical memos to support state income tax filing positions and state tax technical positions related to state treatment of federal tax laws;
- Manage state and local integration issues for acquired companies.
- Maintenance of Sarbanes-Oxley requirements;
- Manage tax authority inquiries and notices;
- Collaborate with cross functional teams to obtain information and educate organizational leaders on tax planning strategies;
- Collaborate with external auditor to comply with year-end audit inquires;
- Manage and lead a team of 1-2 professionals; and
- Assist with special projects, as needed.
- Undergraduate degree in accounting or equivalent.
- CPA preferred.
- Master’s in taxation and/or J.D. a plus.
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant state income and franchise tax compliance, tax accounting and/or consulting experience.
- Experience in public accounting is a plus.
- Experience with OneSource tax applications, Hyperion Financial Systems and SAP.
- Strong understanding of multi-state and local income tax reporting and compliance matters.
- Experience with handling and negotiating state and local tax audits.
- Experience with state and local tax restructurings and tax planning modeling.
- Experience in identifying, analyzing and communicating complicated tax issues in terms of impact on business operations.
- Experience with state impact of federal tax law changes.
- Strong analytical, technical, and technology skills.
- Strong knowledge of income tax accounting reporting and standards (ASC 740).
- Ability to balance multiple priorities and meet deadlines.
- Ability to identify and communicate a broad range of tax opportunities and risks.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to interact with cross functional teams.
- Ability to embrace change and be flexible to changing business needs.
- Well-organized with an attention to detail.
- Strong process and project management skills.
- Ability to work in a team environment.