Subject to applicable law, all prospective hires will be required to demonstrate that they have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or intend to be vaccinated for COVID-19 by November 1, 2021, or qualify for a medical or religious accommodation to this vaccination requirement. Hired candidates who are not vaccinated by November 1, 2021, and who have not been approved for a legally-required medical or religious accommodation will be subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment, in accordance with applicable law.
Our Animal Health Marketing team takes a customer centric perspective using customer feedback and market intelligence data. Using this data, we design, develop and deploy products, platforms, brands and marketing initiatives that ensure we can improve the health and well-being of animals everywhere.
Associate Director Vaccines
This role is responsible for the short- and long-term commercial growth of a companion animal vaccine line in the United States reporting directly to the Director Marketing Companion Animal and Equine Vaccines and Pharmaceuticals.
The Associate Director Vaccines will have primary responsibility for the development and implementation of the short-term, medium term and long-term strategy of current and future canine and feline vaccines. In latter capacity the position ensures that future product profiles address unmet needs and significantly improve the customer experience. The ideal candidate has experience in strategic marketing of broader product ranges and is familiar with the selection criteria of focus and side products. The candidate is willing to work cross-functionally with internal teams and is willing to be the ‘voice and ear’ of the brand in front of key customers listening and providing customer-centric solutions. This individual will lead and manage the brand messaging, internal and external communications including all marketing, advertising, product pricing and related trade and industry programs. He/she will be responsible for developing and delivering the brand portfolio’s annual and long-term financial plan including topline sales, spending and profit contribution.
Key responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Be the brand steward for the line internally and externally in front of customers, vendors and associations
- Manage the development and delivery of the brand's annual marketing/financial plan and develop long-term projections
- Manage the development and execution of all brand communications and allocation of Customer/Gross-To-Net spending. Work in a highly cross functional joint accountability environment inclusive of both internal and external support groups.
- Work closely with field and home office based commercial and technical infrastructure teams to properly develop programs that represent integrated strategies to drive sales and market share short-term and long-term.
- Gain understanding of the vaccine market, current and future competitors to develop the strongest short-term, medium-term and long-term strategy.
- Collaborate with the Global Marketing to ensure global marketing strategies regard local necessities and support the US short- medium- and long-term strategies for the brands
- Interface with appropriate R&D and regulatory teams to ensure existing and new product development in the biological category is properly aligned with business commercial requirements.
- Interface with appropriate new technology functions to improve customer experiences
- Help establish, develop an intensive and robust channel marketing strategy and subsequent implementation.
- Be the Voice Of the Customer (VOC) by capturing the requirements/feedback from the customer (Veterinarians, Pet Service Professionals and to a lesser extent Consumers) and deliver best-in-class programs that align with the strategic goals of the brand and meet the customer’s needs/wants..
Background & Education:
- MBA degree preferred
- Additional qualification in veterinary medicine/animal science/microbiology preferred
Required Experience and Skills:
- At least 5 years relevant work experience in marketing/technical service/sales in the animal health market, preferably in companion animal vaccines.
- Track record of successful strategic management of complex product ranges is a plus.
- At least 5 years work experience in daily interactions with sales force, veterinary customers and KOLs preferably in the field of dog and cat vaccines
- Experience in vaccine development and production is a plus
- Solid forecasting skills
- People management experience preferred
- Must possess strong financial acumen, knowledge of market research
- Strong communication skills [verbal, written and listening skills], interpersonal skills and project management skills.
- Self-starter, able to work and manage effectively in a fast paced environment
- Strong project management skills
- Up to 25% travel
Our Animal Health Division is a trusted global leader in veterinary medicine, dedicated to preserving and improving health, well-being, and performance of animals and the people who care for them. We are a global team of professionals working together to make a positive difference in animal care and the world’s food supply and have a deep sense of responsibility towards our customers, consumers, animals, society, and our planet.
Through our commitment to The Science of Healthier Animals®, we offer veterinarians, farmers, pet owners and governments one of the widest ranges of veterinary pharmaceuticals, vaccines and health management solutions and services as well as an extensive suite of digitally connected identification, traceability and monitoring products. We invest in dynamic and comprehensive R&D resources and a modern, global supply chain. We are present in more than 50 countries, while our products are available in some 150 markets.
Who we are …
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world's most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for …
Imagine getting up in the morning for a job as important as helping to save and improve lives around the world. Here, you have that opportunity. You can put your empathy, creativity, digital mastery, or scientific genius to work in collaboration with a diverse group of colleagues who pursue and bring hope to countless people who are battling some of the most challenging diseases of our time. Our team is constantly evolving, so if you are among the intellectually curious, join us—and start making your impact today.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers' Policy - Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package, but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
Residents of Colorado
Click here to request this role’s pay range.
Current Employees apply HERE
Current Contingent Workers apply HERE
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
Our company is committed to inclusion, ensuring that candidates can engage in a hiring process that exhibits their true capabilities. Please click here if you need an accommodation during the application or hiring process.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
We are proud to be a company that embraces the value of bringing diverse, talented, and committed people together. The fastest way to breakthrough innovation is when diverse ideas come together in an inclusive environment. We encourage our colleagues to respectfully challenge one another’s thinking and approach problems collectively. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:Work Week
Valid Driving License:Yes
Number of Openings:1