This job is archived
Our Animal Health division is a global leader in veterinary medicine and digital solutions dedicated to the health and well-being of animals and the people who care for them. We are a global team of professionals working together to make a positive difference in animal health and well-being and supporting a safe food supply. Through our commitment to the Science of Healthier Animals®, we offer one of our industry’s most innovative portfolio of pharmaceuticals, vaccines and digital health management solutions including traceability and monitoring products that serve to prevent, treat, and control diseases across all major farm and companion animal species.
The Executive Director of Companion Animal and Equine (CA&E) Professional Services (PS) will report to the Associate Vice President (AVP) of the US CA&E business unit and will lead the CA&E Veterinary Professional Service team including the field organization and Pharmacovigilance. The individual will manage all associated projects and budgets. This individual will also interact with the global species teams, key industry opinion leaders and customer executives to achieve the goals of the US Companion Animal & Equine business of Animal Health. The incumbent is a member of the US CA&E Leadership team and contributes towards driving the strategic direction of the business. The focus of this position is strategic and operational, and the scope of activities managed is complex.
Key responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Responsible for setting the overall professional services strategy for the business unit, working in close collaboration with the AVP, CA&E Marketing, Sales, Life Cycle Management and the Veterinary and Consumer Affairs team and Global CA&E Marketing and Technical teams to insure the best “go to market strategies” for commercialization and delivery of products for the US CA&E commercial operations
- Engages and leads the development and execution of business plans for divisional and cross-divisional projects as agreed upon by US CA&E Business Leadership Team
- Actively collaborates with the Executive Director of the Food Production Animal TS teams and the Canadian Technical Team to coordinate and gain efficiencies in execution of Technical Service across the entire North American business
- Utilizes significant depth of knowledge and experience in veterinary medicine to assist in the development of the short, mid and long-term strategy
- Represents Animal Health as scientific speaker on key CA&E industry topics and meetings by communicating strategic, scientific research. Partners with industry associations (i.e. AVMA) to lead industry-wide research in support of scientific and other animal health related topics.
- Partners with Corporate Communications to develop strategy to respond to high profile product complaint issues and ensures the integrity of the investigational process. Leads cross-functional team to ensure thorough investigation and complaint resolution.
- Obtains valuable real-world information and insight through various channels, networking and customer interactions to strategically prioritize marketing initiatives, product development and Market Support Study (MSS) execution
- The travel requirements for this position are a minimum of 70% of the time. Travel responsibilities will be prioritized by project value and primarily domestic.
The focus of this position is strategic and operational and the scope of activities managed is complex. The position requires a highly skilled, scientific and commercially oriented leader with the ability to motivate others and maintain the integrity of our Company's Companion Animal and Equine brands to the highest standards of excellence. This position is responsible for a team of approximately 8 direct reports and 80 indirect reports and manages a multi-million dollar budget.
Animal Health Commercial Competencies
- Demonstrate Ethics & Integrity
- Drive Results
- Focus on Customers & Patients
- Make Rapid Disciplined Decisions
- Act with Courage & Candor
- Build Talent
- Foster Collaboration
- Business & Financial Acumen
- Working Across Boundaries
- Strategic Thinking
- Project Management
- Productive Communication
- Problem Solving
Core Commercial Functional Competencies
- Customer and Market Insights
- Strategic Business Management
- Product Knowledge & Portfolio Management
- Account Management
- Customer Engagement
- Market Access
- Regulatory & Compliance Knowledge
- Lifecycle Management
- Must have a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) degree
- Must have at least 15 years’ experience in the Animal Health Industry and at least 3 years clinical practice experience
- Must have at least 5 years’ of people management experience and demonstrated skills in coaching and people development
- Strategically minded and visionary thinker
- Business minded acumen with science and technical balance.
- Strong veterinary medicine acumen
- Balanced ability to collaborate and influence across multiple internal and external stakeholders
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written, including highly effective presentation skills
- Must demonstrate business acumen to effectively develop and manage budgets, projects and deliverables
- Demonstrated ability to draw appropriate and scientifically balanced conclusions from reports/data, and analyses to support product recommendations
- Must be able to plan and coordinate strategic project activities, collaborating with other stakeholders to maximize team’s results
- Demonstrated deep understanding of customers’ or stakeholders’ needs, requirements and expectations in order to continuously seek new ways to improve the delivery of products and services
- Skilled at developing strong networks and relationships across functions and other organizational boundaries
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
Position Titles Within This Role
- Director, US Companion Animal & Equine Field Professional Services
Who we are …
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world's most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for …
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
We are an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:
Valid Driving License:Yes
Number of Openings:1