This job is archived
Zoetis Veterinary Medicine Research and Development in MI is seeking innovative and highly motivated professionals to be part of an R&D team tasked with using different sets of tools to capture, measure, organize, and model big datasets on diverse livestock production systems. The successful candidate will join a team of animal and data scientists who lead the development and application of novel algorithms for optimization of continuous, automated, and real-time management and monitoring of efficient livestock production, reproduction, health, and welfare to increase productivity and reduce the environmental impact.
Zoetis offers products across a continuum of animal care: genetics, diagnostics, devices and sensors, vaccines and medicines, and seeks to use the power of big data and analytics to enhance the innovation pipeline. In addition, as the world leader in animal health, Zoetis seeks to integrate data and analytics with its diverse portfolio of animal health products to create additional value for customers and enhance overall customer experience.
The successful candidate should have strong skills in economic analysis, statistics, modeling, and big data analytics. Experience with various approaches to modeling complex biological and economic relationships is essential. Candidates will work in a team environment with world-class experts supporting the discovery and development of diverse products across the portfolio. Superior ability to work independently and to collaborate across international and interdisciplinary divisions and teams is required.
The major duties will include but are not limited to:
- Development of innovative approaches to uncover insights and connect animal biology, economic factors, and other sources of information to develop new products and improveme animal health and performance.
- Provide expertise to manage and model large data sets from a wide variety of sources and apply alternative analytics and statistical methods to support animal health projects and products.
- Provide leadership in analysis of biological, economic, and spatial data to develop insights into precision animal health, management, and medicine.
- Demonstrate willingness to learn and incorporate new knowledge into projects and strategies to create robust and value-based products.
- Support world-class scientists by providing analytic support and insights from the expansive data within R&D.
- General understanding of animal sciences is desired but not required.
- DVM, PhD, or equivalent advanced degree in Statistics, Animal Science, Plant Science, Medical Information Science, or Environmental Science is required. Candidates with a MSc would be favorably considered if combined with at least 7 years of relevant experience.
- Demonstrated practical experience in advanced data analytics and statistical modeling, with preference given for experience using multiple sources of complex data to develop and test hypotheses using modern analytical tools.
- Experience implementing analytics algorithms with some programming skills (such as in JAVA, HTML, and Python or similar high-level programming language) is desired.
- Must have advanced data management skills (such as SQL database management using PostgreSQL) and statistical analysis skills (using R, Alteryx, or SAS, Stata, or similar software) is required.
- Familiarity with simulation modeling approaches and software (such as @Risk) will be prioritized.
- Demonstrated skill analyzing large structured and unstructured datasets using big data stores (Cassandra, MongoDB, Hadoop, relational, etc.) will be a plus.
- Experience with statistical analysis vs rules-based approaches will be a plus.
- Passion for learning and for solving complex problems and making a difference.
- Ability to drive a project and work both independently and in a collaborative team.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, which includes the ability to present complex topics to non-technical audiences.
- Comfortable working in a rapidly changing environment and willingness to learn new skills and incorporate new ideas.