Work independently and with minimum supervision to manage complex robotic liquid handing platforms and sample management instrumentation services including non-scheduled service requests, installation, configuration, and operation of instrumentation and operating software. Evaluate equipment needs with scientific groups to determine appropriate use and selection of instrumentation combining electronics design, software development and fabrication skills. Provide GxP compliance and audit readiness, reliability assessments, calibrations and maintenance of high-end robotic liquid handing platforms, sample management systems and associated scientific instrumentation. Works directly with vendors to identify problem resolution, design improvements and assist in system installations. Outstanding customer support, time management and communication skills are a must.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Works independently and within a cross functional highly collaborative team environment to provide advanced support and troubleshooting on a wide range of complex robotic liquid handing platforms and sample management instrumentation.
- Provide expertise in the installation, configuration, modification, and operation of lab automation instrumentation and software.
- Participate in FAT (Factory Acceptance Testing) and SAT (Site Acceptance Testing) of instrumentation, as required.
- Evaluates systems and recommend design changes to OEM to improve reliability and system performance.
- Recognizes problems and inefficiencies in processes and methods, then proposes and implements improvements.
- Actively participate in the development and implementation of cost reduction initiatives at the department and divisional levels.
- Works directly with Scientists to evaluate and identify innovative research technologies that help drive the portfolio objectives.
- Adheres to all GxP compliance requirements and provides technical input for department SOP development.
Education and Qualifications
- Related BS degree and/or extensive OEM training with a minimum of 3 to 5 years proven service experience in support of high-end robotic liquid handing platforms and sample management instrumentation or similar devices.
- Vendor training/certifications in at least one of the following categories of critical laboratory instrumentation: robotic liquid handlers, automated sample managers such as Hamilton ASM tube/plate store, Hamilton Star, Hamilton Verso, Beckman Biomek, and Tecan Evo platforms.
- Mechanically inclined, basic knowledge in electronics, automation programming.
- Experience with GxP compliance and SOP’s. Excellent interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and within a cross functional collaborative team environment as needed while adapting to changing priority needs.
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- Experience programing liquid handing platforms with some experience coding in standard/current programing languages.
- Prototype fabrication of custom parts and experience with improvements to existing parts utilizing shop equipment such as metal lathes and milling machines.
- Familiarity with 3D scanning and advanced 3D rendering systems technologies.
- In the performance of this job, the incumbent will be required to do prolonged standing, walking and sitting. Some heavy lifting (up to 50lbs) may be required. Must be able to physically perform each essential duty satisfactorily.