What if we could extend the life and cognitive function in maturing dogs and cats? What if we could eliminate “dog breath” and improve the vision of your cat? What if we told you we’re already on it? What would you add to the mix? At Purina, we’re at the forefront of innovative product development that’s improving the lives of dogs and cats everywhere. Creating food for pets that heals joint pain and enhances cognitive function is a small ‘taste’ of what the faces behind our formulas are working on every day.
The Technical Services group is responsible for the development of short to intermediate-term products for all of the manufacturing operations associated with the pet food business in the United States and Canada. We are seeking a Nutritionist to join our team to serve as the nutritional authority in the development of new pet food products, which includes providing Nutritional support to both internal and external functions. This position coordinates product claims and formulation with responsibility for nutritional formulation excellence. You will also be responsible for optimizing ingredient flexibility in production formulations using Linear Programming software and assisting with formulation questions and issues. This role provides leadership and technical expertise in the advancement of pet food nutritional excellence, while working with other functions such as marketing, regulatory, legal and research. You may also be responsible for qualifying new raw materials, suppliers, and ingredient nutritional assessment. Across all elements of the job, you’ll have the opportunity to work on fast-paced, multi-functional teams focused on getting new products on shelf and providing technical support to many NPPC functions.
Being at the cutting-edge of nutritional adaptations in pet food and as a leader in the business, you can anticipate working on fast-paced, cross-functional projects that will challenge you to push the limits of innovation and renovation. So, if your full potential could be unleashed, what would you add to the ‘formula’?
- Lead development and provide nutritional support of new and existing technologies to improve the performance of existing products and develop new products.
- Lead sections of the Nutrition and Formulation Excellence Program to better processes and functions pertaining to nutrition for Pet Food Manufacturing.
- Lead and manage all assigned product formulations and supporting claim documentation. Help coordinate and participate in the development of effective and accurate nutritional claims, labeling, advertising and promotional materials for the company.
- Responsible to facilitate palatability and digestibility/urine pH testing on existing and new products.
- Act as key nutritional and technical resource for Marketing to develop a robust pipeline of product development opportunities, which includes developing technical project plans and timelines for all assigned projects.
- Provide nutritional and technical expertise within “discipline” to Product Technology Center (R&D), Legal, Consumer Marketing, Regulatory, Purchasing, Q.A., Customer Development Group (CDG), HR, Plants, US Management, and other groups as it relates to business unit objectives. Review product claims with Legal and Regulatory personnel to ensure adequate supporting data and maintains supporting data records.
- May qualify new raw materials and/or suppliers and acts as ingredient coordinator for all assigned ingredients/raw materials which includes understanding raw material and manufacturing process and impact on NPPC finished products
- Ensure necessary documentation is maintained within the department to meet and substantiate label compliance standards, statements of nutritional adequacy, and advertising or promotional claims.
- Collaboratively and proactively keep management and key team project members apprised of issues, risks, timing, and contingencies relevant to technical and business success.
- Responsible for optimizing ingredient flexibility in production formulations using Linear Programming software and fielding calls from NPPC Dry pet food production facilities, assisting with formulation questions and issues.
- Understand and effectively use NPPC systems and tools required for scheduling activity and tests, collecting and analyzing data, and completing and disseminating accurate reports.
- Initiate and implement cost reduction ideas for assigned product lines and factories.
*Travel up to 10%.
** Level of position determinant upon background and relevant experience.
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS (Minimum):
- Master’s or PhD in Nutrition, Animal Nutrition, or related discipline
- 2+ years of experience working in applied animal nutrition
It is our business imperative to remain a very inclusive workplace.
To our veterans and separated service members, you're at the forefront of our minds as we recruit top talent to join Nestlé. The skills you've gained while serving our country, such as flexibility, agility, and leadership, are much like the skills that will make you successful in this role. In addition, with our commitment to an inclusive work environment, we recognize the exceptional engagement and innovation displayed by individuals with disabilities. Nestlé seeks such skilled and qualified individuals to share our mission where you’ll join a cohort of others who have chosen to call Nestlé home.
The Nestlé Companies are an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer seeking diversity in qualified applicants for employment. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, gender, gender identity, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, perceived disability, medical condition, genetic information, veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other protected status, as defined by applicable law.
Prior to the next step in the recruiting process, we welcome you to inform us confidentially if you may require any special accommodations in order to participate fully in our recruitment experience. Contact us at [Register to View] or please dial 711 and provide this number to the operator: 1-[Register to View] .Job: Nutritionist Primary Location: Saint Louis, MO US Other Location: United States-- Career Area: Professional Nestle Purina PetCare Company https://nestleusa.taleo.net/careersection/9/jobdetail.ftl?lang=en&job=21006552