The Manager, Technical Accounting will provide technical accounting analysis and support for unique and new accounting transactions for Zoetis. They will follow and provide updates on the standard setting activities of the FASB/SEC/PCAOB/IASB as well as evaluate the applicability to and impact on Zoetis. This includes developing/updating accounting policies and drafting white papers for new standards and complex transactions. This position interacts daily with leaders, managers, and colleagues (including the regional Controllers/Finance Directors) of the various regions and enabling functions, as well as other members of Zoetis Controllers/Finance, Business Technology (ZTD), Legal/Compliance organizations. The Manager, Technical Accounting reports to the Senior Manager, Technical Accounting.
- Defines and optimizes contract revenue recognition policies and processes in compliance with technical standards.
- Advise business partners and Commercial colleagues on technical accounting guidance for various topics including capitalization, revenue, leasing, impairments.
- Collaborate with technical accounting team to develop and present trainings to support continuing education programs for the finance organization, including training related to the adoption of new policies/accounting standards and other hot topics.
- Monitor and analyze FASB ASUs, proposed ASUs, SEC issued/proposed rule changes and the impact on Zoetis.
- Provide consultation support for day-to-day questions on accounting and reporting from all Zoetis functions. Develop appropriate guidance by analyzing data and assumptions, formulate positions/alternatives and communicate the recommended course of action. Develop a process for managing and cataloging consultations to ensure consistency of guidance provided.
- Lead special projects and change initiatives throughout the organization, advising on accounting considerations as required.
- Develop accounting policies for new and updated accounting standards.
- Maintain log of accounting inquiries and conclusions reached.
- Assist in business development (M&A) activities including purchase accounting and integration activities.
- Create and develop newsletter content for communication to the finance organization.
- Support quarterly and annual reporting and processes including the 10Q/10K and impairment assessments for Goodwill and Intangible Assets and audit support.
Qualifications (Training, Education & Prior Experience)
- University degree in accounting
- Strong technical accounting skills
- 4+ years’ experience in a financial accounting role
- CPA required
- Prior experience in public accounting (preferably with a “Big 4” firm)
- Strong US GAAP knowledge and experience
- Strong experience with application of ASC 606 – Revenue from Contracts with Customers
- Strong analytical background with strategic thinking capabilities and attention to detail
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of management both verbally and in writing
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, high-energy environment
- Ability to multi-task, consistently meeting deadlines on multiple projects and activities
- Work effectively in a team environment and in building collaborative relationships with peers and with other stakeholders